Recessing pipes into a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of recessing pipes into a wall. I have 15mm hot and cold pipes that fee the kitchen sink and 2x 8mm central heating pipes that feed one radiator. Both pairs of pipes run from the ceiling down towards floor level.

I do not know wht the previous owners/builders did not recess the damn things in the first place?

However, I have dug two channels for the pipes. This was essentially removing the covering plaster board back to the breeze block. How should i best proceed.

Do i need to put trunking in to protect the pipes?
Can i simply put a bracket on and wrap felt around them?
How should i fill the gap before plastering over the top?

Help as always is very appreciated.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is dry then you should be able to get away with wrapping with felt.

If a solid wall and likely to have some damp then it might be better to paint them as well.

Keep the heating pipes away from the cold water.

As somebody who deals with faults on heating and plumbing systems I dont like any inaccessible pipes!

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony.

The wall is dry. The pipes now sit back within a 10cm wide gap. The depth is about 25cm's. I will wrap the pipes with some felt. How is it best to fill the gap before the plasterer does his work? Should i use some of that expanding foam stuff?

I appreciate that this will mean the pipes are not accesible as they run behind plaster but it will look a lot neater. I have put valves on the pipes before they enter the recess to assist with future isolation ussues.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back