Recirculating cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, quick question as I can't seem to find a conclusive answer on Google...

I am putting up an extractor hood above my gas cooker. It will be a recirculating affair rather than outside ventilation. The plug socket for the hood is dead central where the cooker is, so the cooker hood chimney will go over it. Is this not slightly dangerous in the sense that all the hot air, steam, grease etc that makes it past the filters will Go straight up and past the socket before being pushed out the vents and back into the room ?? Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is this not slightly dangerous in the sense that all the hot air, steam, grease etc that makes it past the filters will Go straight up and past the socket before being pushed out the vents and back into the room ??
Yes it is.

For properly installed extracting types it is not an issue, because the ducting to the outside separates the socket and electrical connections from the extracted air.

A recirculating hood is next to useless, and if that is all you can really fit, you may as well not bother with one at all.

With an induction hob I suspect you could put tea cosy's over all the pans to keep the heat in without any problem, however any other hob it would set them on fire. Again with electric the fire risk is lower than gas, and think there are strict rules with gas?

So an electric hob with a hood with carbon filter to absorb the smells OK, with a gas hob some thing needs to remove the combustion gases from the house, I am sure if a gas cooker was invented today it would be banned. Unlike solid fuel there is no flue. Plus naked flame.

I do use the hood even with an induction hob to remove smoke from my cooking so it does not set off fire alarm in the hall, even when piped into old flue for solid fuel cooker, it still sets off the smoke alarm some times, I suspect non flue would be next to useless, only advantage is the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back