Reclaimed bricks / spalling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of buying a delapidated barn. It was converted 20 years ago but needs a lot of tlc. My questions relate to the brickwork as I have notice that some of the bricks (not many) are spalling. I have read that this is probably due to the fact it appears to have been repointed with a cement mortar - can this be ground out and replaced with lime mortar or has the damage been done? What would approx cost in lancahsire to do this?Also some of the barn was extended and looks to have been done with reclaimed bricks. What worries me is if they used cement mortar what problems may be in store as obviously I cannot rake this out - what are people's thoughts? Lastly I had a full building survey by RIcs surveyor but this was not mentioned - should it have?

Sponsored Links
The damage caused by [too strong] cement mortar is different to spalling. So you need to identify what is occurring.

You've not made it clear what was not mentioned by the surveyor or what type of survey you had.

A problem with using reclaimed bricks on external work is that years ago the poorer quality bricks were used for internal walls. When the buildings were demolished these bricks were used for external work. B
In the 80's there was a trend for using old bricks for new builds. The ones that had a few painted ones dotted around were quite popular.
However when they discovered that the frost was getting to them they started making new ones with paint and mortar on so they looked like the reclaimed ones.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
The survey did not mention the spalling bricks and it was a 'full building survey'
I have read that using cement mortar causes the bricks to spall as it is impermeable so the water cannot find its way out through the joints (unlike lime mortar).
Not sure whether it's going to be a big job or something that although expensive can be sorted by repointing the whole property....

I have read that using cement mortar causes the bricks to spall as it is impermeable so the water cannot find its way out through the joints (unlike lime mortar).

What happens to bricks in walls with all cement mortar?

I would stop reading stuff from wherever you read that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back