Reclaimed slates and holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a new roof laid from reclaimed heather welsh slates, 24x12s. Some of the slates have larger nail holes, maybe up to the size of a 10pence piece. I've noticed that the roofer is using these holes to nail through.

Should a hole this size be used? Should the slate be re-holed or discarded?

Thanks,

Sean.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No they should not be used without re holeing...total bodge.

Natural slates are holed from the back of the slate with either a holeing device or spike etc boring / drilling will not allow the nail head to sit flush.

The exception being Some chinese,brazillian etc where boring is the only option (or hook fixing of course)

New holes take seconds.

I know this is an old thread but have taken off the slates on my garage and planning to re-roof my garage with the same slates plus more to replace broken and damaged ones. As above a lot of the holes very widened when removing them. I had planned to re-holes any large ones, but can the old holes just be left?

Thanks

Leave the old holes - make the new ones inside the old on the same level

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back