Recommend A New Shower To Run Directly Off A Combi...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We recently moved into a new house and have been having issues with a boiler and lack of shower in the upstairs bathroom. After a thread (//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=239681) we called a couple of plumbers and both recommended replacing the boiler as well as how best to install a new shower.

They both recommended running pipes up into the attic - then down one of the walls in the bath (2 chrome pipes) to the shower unit. They have asked up to choose our own units... Therein lies my question - which shower unit would be best on a budget of around £150-200 that will run off the Combi?

Any recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
to be honest i always recommend eletric showers with combi
as if and when your boiler brakes then you got back facilaties to wash your self with

I'd also suggest you get an electric shower. I've got a Mira Advance which is quality.

But if you were to go for a mixer shower then get one thats designed for combination boilers, they are pressure balanced mixers.

The only issue with that type of shower is that it requires the pipes to be run behind the walls?... Or do I have that wrong?

Our requirement for the plumber was to try and minimise the amount of work required to install the shower - hence their suggestion of running 2 chrome pipes down from the attic which would then be visible - with a shower unit then attached to those pipes. Thats why I'm looking for some recommendations as all of the showers that I'm familiar with are the white box kind with no pipes exposed...

Also - I presume that their suggested method of installation wouldnt allow for an electrical connection.

Sponsored Links
Accept your plumbers advice as to where to run the pipe work. And ask his opinion on what shower would be best to fit?

Easy! :D

I'm with ADL...

As somebody who has spent endless hours in peoples homes at unsociable hours, because they 'have got work tomorrow, and need some hot water'... I'd recommend sticking to an electric.

They aren't the greatest:- They don't get very warm and they cost a bomb to run... but if your Combi ever fails, which it will, because they ALL do, apart from INTERGAS for some reason... you can use the 'leccy shower!

That aside, if you want for a better shower, take everyones advice on the mixer... You will not require a 'power shower', which I'm sure you are unfamiliar with, as the Mixer's powered by Combi's are usually just as good.

It all depends on your flow-rates though! - How fast is your cold water at the Bath Taps? and in comparison, what are your Hot taps like?

With regards to surface mounting; Unless you want to spend more than £200... and re-tile at least one wall of the bathroom, then I'd say your stuck with 2 chrome pipes to hold onto...

On the plus side, most shower gels hang well off them, and they come in handy when trying to French Connection in the shower :LOL:

And one other thing;

the electric cables will also be surface mounted I imagine, and probably boxed in with horrible white conduit. Ergh!

they come in handy when trying to French Connection in the shower

I very nearly spat tea all over the screen!

I think I'm going to call the plumber tomorrow morning to ask them to explain exactly how they'll go about getting the shower in and with what sort of finish - I don't like the idea of plastic boxing for cabling etc... Will see exactly what their plan of action will be.

It will be, more or less, exactly as we have all stated here...

Tradesmen Nationwide may sound different, and to some instance, carry out their profession in a not-so-similar way...

But for the most-part, we're all the same.

If there is currently no shower, and you want one, you have 2 options;

You rip tiles off, bury the pipework, install the shower and re-tile, so you don't see it.
or
You surface mount the pipework.

Good Luck with it, and do tell us how you get on!

We want pictures of the finished article aswell!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back