Recommend A Quality Trade/Professional Mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Requirements

1. Petrol

2. Needs to be able to comfortably handle lawn the size of a tennis court (Approx 100-200m2)

3. Need to be strong/ long lasting/ easy to operate

4. Must bag and mulch

5. Budget up to £700 (but would prefer if it was under £500)

I am not a professional landscaper, but I want 'professional' equipment as the cheap retail stuff is a false economy

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Honda, husqavana, hayter, mountfield, the new Hyundai mowers seem to get rave reviews, I guess there will be a compromise somewhere

Had my Honda HRX476C, for 10 plus years cuts 500 square metres of lawn twice a week in summer sometimes 3 times.

Change oil twice a year, clean or replace air filter, spark plug yearly.

Only thing to replace two drive cables.
Problems : It was hard to start from cold, it turn out to be the Accelerate lever required tightening to hold choke on.

Two pulls and it's away.

I would replace with another Honda ( but not sure about their new models with plastic type controls on some), Mountfield SP 505 RV or SP 555 RV is top of my list for a replacement.

My local council parks use Toro but these are pricey.

Pays your money and make your choice.

Sponsored Links
Most professional grade mowers would be more like £1k+

Other brands to look at would be kubota/lawnflite pro (kaaz) and john deere

Honda Izy, 21" (y)
John :)
Agree entirely!

Mine starts first time everytime (auto choke, no throttle control). Steel deck, 3 year warrenty.

Also have a 16" Mountfield, poor starter - 3rd pull when cold, more when hot. Pressed tin deck. Self propelling belt comes off the pullys regularly (think it's grass collecting in the drive gearbox area.

It's nearly end of grass cutting season for Mower sales, do a search on Google for the mowers you select you could get a good price don't forget delivery and then compare with your local dealer.

Most professional grade mowers would be more like £1k+

Other brands to look at would be kubota/lawnflite pro (kaaz) and john deere
Is a Honda Izy considered 'Professional Grade?'

Honda Izy, 21" (y)
A few votes for Honda i see

What is the difference between the Izy and the HRX476?

I would be mowing on average 2-3 times a month. 100-200m2 fields

Rear Roller on 476. Check out web page below . you will all they have.

www. Honda.co.uk

The Izy range are basic mowers but of very high quality....many professional users have them. Pattern parts are plentiful and cheap enough. You can get both self propelled or pedestrian models....the gearbox on the self propelled model is reliable.
The lawn stripe effect is done courtesy of a rubber flap at the back of the machine - it works to a degree.
The HRX series are much more expensive and perfect for a bowling green type of lawn, so basically it depends on what sort of jobs you have for the mower.
The Izy does suffer from a rusty deck which is easy to prevent if the thing is cleaned and painted from time to time.

I swear by Honda hrh536 pro hydrostatic . bought our first one in 1999 and still going despite contract use ,cost then was around 900 quid .
Have bought 3 more since which shows the confidence I have in them.
They are heavy so have etisea as well which are light for one person lift into a vehicle and they bag cuttings equally well as the pro in the wet .

Have a look at the Honda warranty information
https://www.honda.co.uk/lawn-and-garden/owners/warranty.html

Honda Izy are good domestic mowers (and would do you fine), but they're not commercial grade. If you want to spend more, you can get mowers with variable speed, blade brake clutch, and alloy decks which will last for many decades.

Thanks for the help guys

I used my mates Honda Brush cutter UMK425 and it was a fantastic bit of kit.

Like a knife through warm butter. So not surprised the mowers have got votes.

Will probably invest in a Honda mower but need to do more research as I am not familiar with some of the terms like variable speed, blade brake clutch..

And paying a bit more for these features could be beneficial

Only my opinion, but it really depends on the piggy bank!
The hydrostatic gearbox on the more professional machines is a weak spot.....some last for ages and some don’t - repair costs are uneconomic.
These machines do have a blade disengaging device which is good and reliable.....the clutches seem to last forever but the ball bearing that holds them doesn’t. Many of them have twin blades, one above the other.
Izy decks do rust out but you can greatly extend their lives by regular cleaning and painting. New decks are around the £120 mark.
After market spares are readily available and the engines last forever with regular oil changes and they are brilliant starters whatever the age.
Good luck with your choice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back