Recommend me a water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a water heater to feed a shower, basin and sink. There is good mains pressure and I'm not restricted by space. It can be an under sink heater or be fitted in a cupboard of it's own out of sight. My budget is about £200 and I need one that is good value and will last a while, preferably with engineer call out option (if there is one).

I have a thermostatic mixer shower at the moment, will this conflict with any electric water heater I might have? Also I like having good hot water pressure, will I still get it?

Sponsored Links
Champagne ideas., beer money....

You could just about fit a 12kw Powerstream instantaneous heater within your budget but the flow rate will be carp. For the kind of size storage heater you'll need to run an acceptable shower you'll need closer to £500

Thanks, what about this then http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Redring-12kW-Powerstream-Instant-Water-Heater-RP12-45793202-/221192058169

?

It says Allows the supply of up to two basins or one basin and one
shower with instant hot water
Water outlet via existing tap or mixer (especially suitable via spray tap)

So will this work with a mixer shower ?This is a one bedroom flat so it shouldn't be a problem if it only supplies hot water to one appliance at a time, you reckon pressure will be **** though?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Try standing under a shower at just under 5 litres per minute (NOT an electric shower) and see just how shit is.

Do you suggest I change the mixer to an electric shower heater and have a separate water heater for the basin and sink ?

I think the suggestion is to up your budget.
Or maybe post this on rated people or suchlike. :LOL:
I need a water heater to feed a shower, basin and sink. There is good mains pressure and I'm not restricted by space. It can be an under sink heater or be fitted in a cupboard of it's own out of sight. My budget is about £200 and I need one that is good value and will last a while, preferably with engineer call out option (if there is one).

Rated people :LOL: yeah get quoted £1500 to fit something that takes 2 hours for them to do

Rated people :LOL: yeah get quoted £1500 to fit something that takes 2 hours for them to do

More likely, spend £199.50 on an even crapper version of what you are asking for here :LOL:

Not that I think that is possible.

Ok but clearly I'm open to suggestions. If the shower mixer is replaced with an electric one and an undersink water heater supplies the basin and sink I'm hoping this will be suitable and want to get advice on the best configuration

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-europrisma-2kw-15litre-undersink-water-heater/60922

Would this supply a basin and sink with good pressure?

Also can someone explain to me the different kilowatt ratings, how does this work ?

A shower less than two minutes long? Very generous ;).

This is for the basin and sink only, if you re-read

Also can someone explain to me the different kilowatt ratings, how does this work ?

More kW means more hot water per minute.

Bare minimum shower through a regular head would be about 8 l/minute. To do that instantly would mean nearly 20kW.

Electric showers work by using restrictive shower heads to give the illusion (thinly veiled) of a shower at about 4 l/min.

To get more water with less kW you need storage, but that just offsets the reduced energy input.

This is assuming a 35 degree temperature rise in water - which again is a bit crap.

Hence Muggles nicking my phrase "champagne ideas, beers money". - Muggles - it has been duly noted ;).

The only way I can think of getting your idea to work would be to change the shower head on your mixer shower for a spare one from an 8kW electric shower, but frankly i would rather smell than use it.

I have a thermostatic mixer shower at the moment, will this conflict with any electric water heater I might have? Also I like having good hot water pressure, will I still get it?

Post overlaps.

The Ariston unit will be fine for basins and sink, given the lesser of multiple evils.

Do you know what loadings your electrics can take? With this set up you are pulling 65 amps just for water heating.

What about space heating, cooking, lights, TV's etc.,?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back