Recommend me a water heater

Also can someone explain to me the different kilowatt ratings, how does this work ?

More kW means more hot water per minute.

Bare minimum shower through a regular head would be about 8 l/minute. To do that instantly would mean nearly 20kW.

Electric showers work by using restrictive shower heads to give the illusion (thinly veiled) of a shower at about 4 l/min.

To get more water with less kW you need storage, but that just offsets the reduced energy input.

This is assuming a 35 degree temperature rise in water - which again is a bit crap.

Hence Muggles nicking my phrase "champagne ideas, beers money". - Muggles - it has been duly noted ;).

The only way I can think of getting your idea to work would be to change the shower head on your mixer shower for a spare one from an 8kW electric shower, but frankly i would rather smell than use it.

I can replace the mixer with an electric shower kit, as I say it's an option. It concerns me how easy this will be to do, how easy is an electric shower to retrofit? Obviously all I have to play with are 2 copper stumps protruding from the tiling in the shower after removing the mixer.

Looking at price I can find a 8kw+ shower for less than £100 and so if I find a reasonably powerful undersink heater that supplies the basin and sink I'm hoping this will work well. Thanks for the info.

Also just to say I made the mistake of buying and having fitted a sadia megaflow 125l cylinder, a fantastic heater but totally oversized for my requirements. It takes up the entire cupboard and storage space is very tight here. I plan on removing the cylinder for use elsewhere as I have a family member who can do with an upgrade. Shame really as I had to get in a plumber certified to fit the cylinder and sign off and now I'm taking it out to make space. I didn't know any better at the time and should have went with smaller more discrete heating

Sponsored Links
I need a water heater to feed a shower, basin and sink. There is good mains pressure and I'm not restricted by space. It can be an under sink heater or be fitted in a cupboard of it's own out of sight. My budget is about £200 and I need one that is good value and will last a while, preferably with engineer call out option (if there is one).

I have a thermostatic mixer shower at the moment, will this conflict with any electric water heater I might have? Also I like having good hot water pressure, will I still get it?

Post overlaps.

The Ariston unit will be fine for basins and sink, given the lesser of multiple evils.

Do you know what loadings your electrics can take? With this set up you are pulling 65 amps just for water heating.

What about space heating, cooking, lights, TV's etc.,?

It overlaps because I cottoned onto the fact one heater would not be adequate to supply shower, sink and basin so considered having a separate heater for the shower, as I said I'm open to considerations

As far as I'm aware if I place the basin/sink heater in the cupboard that the sadia megaflow heater will be removed from, I can use the existing electrics. I'm sure insulated cables were used as it's all to part P. Looking at the C/U it does have it's own circuit. If I place it under the sink instead I've got a double plug socket which was going to be used for a washing machine, having looked at the C/U the sockets are B32, I'm assuming 32amp? So will this be adequate?

I have 2 panel heaters for space heating which are very warm when on, they each have their own circuit. It rarely gets cold enough to have them both on. The biggest problem is running a cable for the electric shower but I'm lucky that the distance and setup allows me to get to the cables somewhat

May as well have worked it out on my own as I usually do for what it's worth posting here

With an attitude like that you're unlikely to get any further help. People have spent time trying to understand your problem and extract information from you, which you're only giving in dribs and drabs, and now you've decided that being rude is the way forward.

Carry on, sort yourself out, I doubt anyone will want to help you now

Sponsored Links
You'd be much better off keeping your cylinder and doing a car boot sale with the stuff you want to store. There is always a logical answer if you think hard enough. Let me know if you need any more help. :D

You'd be much better off keeping your cylinder and doing a car boot sale with the stuff you want to store. There is always a logical answer if you think hard enough. Let me know if you need any more help. :D

See that sort of perfunctory comment is what I find irksome here, and leaving aside the fact I have a 'problem' with this widely used tact it's still evident that most questions go (the majority) unresolved whatever the attitude or intentions of the person posing the question. I can find and quote limitless examples of this.

I have had a similar problem like this in the past asking an electrical query with regards a full re-wire, where a person (ex-trade in this case) was intent on pushing the most trite corollary details and then taking offense when some of their contribution was deemed less important as it did not taking into account personal circumstances.

Sorry to say not getting an answer in the plumbing or electrical section is not an uncommon occurrence, what I find sad is some peoples unawareness of this reality. To imply as though I will now somehow miss out on a wealth of knowledge here is somewhat laughable to me because it has never shown itself to be here. Wilth all due respect to the people that have helped answer my queries in the past, they know who they are. These sentiments are with regards to the electrical/plumbing sections ONLY, other sections people generally get their answers

You are a bit of an idiot aren't you?

I gave you plenty of good advice earlier in this thread.

If the sparks are winding you up as well, perhaps it is your own attitude, and frankly, pathetic sounding personality you should cogitate. :LOL:

May as well have worked it out on my own as I usually do for what it's worth posting here
Not really. You asked a question and have been advised. Download the MIs to check whether the current cabling is sufficient for the undersink heater. Assumkng that you're getting an electrician to wire up the shower, you could presumably think of upgrading to 10.5kW for minimal extra expense.

A more astute person might realise that that's because electricity and gas can be dangerous.
If you're plastering you might fall off a ladder, if your painting you might ruin your kex. :rolleyes:

You are a bit of an idiot aren't you?

I gave you plenty of good advice earlier in this thread.

If the sparks are winding you up as well, perhaps it is your own attitude, and frankly, pathetic sounding personality you should cogitate. :LOL:

In future don't crash about in such an abrasive manner. Unlike others perhaps I don't look at post counts and thank rations as a measure of someones merit, I'll decide that based on how they are with me. I'm not sure what you expect from other people here but if it's arse kissing then you won't get it from me, sorry. 'Pathetic sounding personality' is a rich statement coming from someone with a 32k + post count, if sitting indoors on your computer all day posting on forums is a measure of success in life you win hands down.

I don't value your 'advice' and I don't ask for it, keep it to yourself in future.

Thank you

Not really. You asked a question and have been advised. Download the MIs to check whether the current cabling is sufficient for the undersink heater. Assumkng that you're getting an electrician to wire up the shower, you could presumably think of upgrading to 10.5kW for minimal extra expense.

Thank you for the information

A more astute person might realise that that's because electricity and gas can be dangerous.
If you're plastering you might fall off a ladder, if your painting you might ruin your kex. :rolleyes:

I've decided to keep the cylinder I have already and save myself the job of having to chase a cable for the electric shower and alter the pipework. A friend of mine (a working plumber) was keen on the water heater for sink/basin and electric shower if sized adequately. The problem I have is that the existing setup exceeds demand but the size of the cylinder is taking up the entire cupboard space so I've decided to make alterations to the cupboard to make it more discreet.

I'm also not convinced that electric showers/under-sink heaters are economic with regards long term use, if I am living in the place myself I may be looking at many hundreds extra every year simply by having instantaneous water heaters rather than storage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back