Recommendation for wired alarm system for competent amateur in new build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking to install a hard wired (potential wireless expansion) alarm system into a new build that I've pre-wired with cables. Ideally I'd want 10 zones, keypad/keyfob entry, remote set/unset via ethernet connectivity (ideally no subscription).
I'm fairly competent (I've installed two Honeywell G8 systems in the past) so don't need to be completely idiot-proof!
Also looking at potential future smart integrations (we have a Rako system), but thinking Alexa or IFTTT compatibility. For context, I've also got a Nest doorbell and considering Nest external cameras.

Grateful for recommendations and advice.

Bonus - I'd also like to alarm the garage (two zones), a dual set/unset would be neat, but if this is super complicated then I can just wire something simple in there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My (as a similar competent amateur) recommendation from limited experience would be Texecom Premier Elite appropriately spec'ed for your needs. Easy enough to install and the programming, while a little fiddly, isn't so hard once you get your head around it (and is much easier with their Wintex software than through a keypad!) I've installed a couple now and not had any issues with either. Just follow the instructions and use a bit of common sense (and advice from here!)

You can definitely do dual-zone for the garage (I do exactly this) and you might also want to consider putting an extender box out there - you then end up with all of the individual zone wiring staying local to the building, and only need a single run of alarm cable to link the two boxes together. You can also have a separate keypad for the garage, or whatever you need to make it work, and it can all be part of a the same system.

Can't comment on Alexa / IFTTT etc. - I use Home Assistant and there's an excellent add-on which supports the Texecom system in a pretty comprehensive way, allowing monitoring and remote set/unset. I suspect others here might be able to help you more here.

My (as a similar competent amateur) recommendation from limited experience would be Texecom Premier Elite appropriately spec'ed for your needs. Easy enough to install and the programming, while a little fiddly, isn't so hard once you get your head around it (and is much easier with their Wintex software than through a keypad!) I've installed a couple now and not had any issues with either. Just follow the instructions and use a bit of common sense (and advice from here!)

You can definitely do dual-zone for the garage (I do exactly this) and you might also want to consider putting an extender box out there - you then end up with all of the individual zone wiring staying local to the building, and only need a single run of alarm cable to link the two boxes together. You can also have a separate keypad for the garage, or whatever you need to make it work, and it can all be part of a the same system.

Can't comment on Alexa / IFTTT etc. - I use Home Assistant and there's an excellent add-on which supports the Texecom system in a pretty comprehensive way, allowing monitoring and remote set/unset. I suspect others here might be able to help you more here.
Can i ask about the ha integration do you use this over the Texecom app ?

Sponsored Links
Can i ask about the ha integration do you use this over the Texecom app ?
More info here:
...and a long discussion thread here:

Pretty quick and easy to set up and is mostly stable (although there is a long-standing issue related to a firmware bug on the Texecom panels that hasn't quite been resolved yet. That said, it's certainly good enough such that I only use this to manage my alarm and have never used the official Texecom app.

One note: I'd strongly recommend a dedicated interface for the HA add-on. Specifically, an extra ComIP module which is not configured to do anything else. The Texecom Elite panel is actually very simplistic when it comes to its interfaces, which are effectively a serial port running over IP. If you try to have two things talking to one interface at the same time (e.g. Texecom Cloud + HA, or Wintex + HA) it will certainly cause you issues and about half of the posts on the discussion thread are from people having problems due to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back