Recommendations For A Bench Pillar Drill ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would anyone please be able to advise me of a decent make/model for a bench pillar drill? Also, are there any features/functionality that I need to lok out for such as gearing ratios. drill speeds etc?

Thx
Jack

Sponsored Links
For a good price plus warranty and spares or whatever, look at what Machine Mart has to offer (Although Lidl sometimes do the small one even cheaper).
I'd recommend a Jacob's type keyed chuck (13mm) and 5 or 10 speeds will be more than enough. It really does depend on what you want to pay!
John :)

That looks a smart bit of kit, Nigel - I like the table that can be raised or lowered by the rack. Can the table be swung out of the way?
My biggest moan with these things is the aluminium vice that they usually come with, and I've seen a couple where the drill and the table weren't exactly perpendicular.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Table can be raised and lowered, the mechanism isn't exactly finely tuned, but it really doesn't need to be, wind it up lock it off, Bob's your Father's Brother.

Yes, the table can be swung out of the way to get big pieces under, maybe not the easiest process, but it only takes seconds.

Mine didn't come with a vice, but I have a really good quality one already, inherited off my toolmaker Father in Law. All I have done is make an MDF table for it with a sacrificial square which pops out and allows me to use my drum sanders.

HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back