Recommendations for exterior paint for use on wooden fascias and soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to have some wooden fascias and soffits painted on my residential property. Some areas will need to be painted white and some painted black.

I would be very appreciative of some 'real life' recommendations on brands / types of paint that are tough and longlasting and are suitable for areas that are predominantly in the sun.

Many thanks

Paul

Sponsored Links
Zinsser AllCoat Exterior

Probably not the cheapest option just for white or black (it comes in every RAL colour) but it is very good.

Occasionally the 1L tins are on offer and workout cheaper than larger cans for some reason.

Sponsored Links
I stick to Dulux Trade Weathershield. The oil based version, not the waterbased, and most definitely not the Dulux retail stuff.

I haven't used any of the others mentioned above. If I am charging someone over £5k to paint the outside of their house, I can't take the risk of using a paint that might potentially fail earlier than the Weathershield. I typically hope an exterior will be ok for about 10 years. It may well be the case that some of the other paints recommended might have greater longevity but over the years I have become familiar with the way that DTW performs and flows.

Other than paints you need to consider fillers and sealants. At the more expensive end you have epoxy resin fillers such as Repaircare and Timbabuild. With regards to sealants, the MS polymers (CT1, Sikaflex, etc) are almost as flexible as silicone but may (or may not) be overkill if a standard caulk is sufficient.

Another consideration, often over looked is the weather. If you gloss too late in the day, the dew may turn your gloss matt. I deally you wouldn't want to paint when the sun is super hot, if you do need to you can add Owatrol oil to oil based paints and Floetrol to waterbased paints to prevent them from drying too quickly to enable you to maintain a wet edge.

thanks for the advice about especially the real world advice many thanks indeed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back