Recommendations for external PIR security lights - brand/model

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a couple of B&Q own brand (Parkside?) halogen PIR security lights around 10-11 months ago. After a while, one started acting up and not switching off. Disconnected that a few days ago, and the other is now tripping the circuit breaker when it times out. Everything else on the same lighting circuit behaves fine - six rooms' worth of lights, attic lights, and a pair of bathroom extractor fans.

Thinking we would try a different brand, I got a couple of similar style from Toolstation - decided to set timer, sensitivity etc. before going up on the ladders, so wired them up directly to the internal switch, which is in the attic, sat them on blocks of wood to keep the heat off the floor, and started fine-tuning the timing. After about five or six iterations with a stopwatch, one started behaving erratically, and the on time jumped from 5 to 12 mins approx.

At around 10pm, I tired of this, and today wired them both up with flex cable to a standard mains plug, hung them on a stand, so they're in free air, and tried them again. Today, one won't come on at all, and the other stays on permanently, never coming out of the 'start-up' phase, which is only meant to last 1-2mins.

On the basis I'm not just unlucky, has anyone any recommendations for a particular brand/model?

Sponsored Links
I recommend avoiding the following:

Cheap tat from bricks and mortar sheds like B&Q.
Cheap tat from online sheds like Toolstation.
Cheap tat from Amazon (most especially if it comes direct from China)
Cheap tat from eBay ( -- ditto -- )​

Try reputable makers such as Thorn, Philips, Aurora....

Sponsored Links
I agree that Steinel lamps are good, as are their heat guns!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back