Recommendations - Windows/Doors in NW London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my dad needs three replacement windows and a couple of doors. Probably Composite but maybe even uPVC. The problem is that he will just go to Everest or Anglian and get ripped off.

How do I find a decent reputable company that will fit well made products at a good price? Are there big national firms that people use without problem or is it better with someone local? This is for supply and fit. Any advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you find one ? I am struggling to find as the prices vary a lot between installers...

Double glazed - Terraced house -
2 bay windows ground floor / first floor)
1 small room window - small v shaped bay
1 bedroom window - Medium sized window
toilet bathroom window- Medium sized window
Everest has quoted me 12500 (Salesman came to house - had a laptop - Provided the quote while he was at home - wore a Everest jacket)
Britelight has quoted me 10000 (Salesman came to house - Went to office and then emailed me a quote via email)
Local installer has quoted 4500 (rough sizes, saw images of the house on google maps and the images i showed him). He told he use Rahau brand profile.
Another local installer has quote 4400 (Surveyor visited house and gave me a price after couple of hours)
so confused... they polish words while they speak to us "very good quality", "we dont use cheap materials", "we are nationwide", "10 year warranty", etc.
These nationwide companies who have nice sales team and call centre just pass on the costs back to us. I am sure the sales people will have atleast 15 % commission as minimum.

The Everest or Anglian business model appears to be to start with a sky high quote and a long and tiring sales pitch and then roll out progressively bigger discounts to keep the customer on board if they're losing interest. That's one approach, but I prefer an honest price up front. The quote should be followed up by a more detailed survey before actual hardware is manufactured.

I tried a well regarded local firm (www.homeworkswindows.co.uk) and got a fair quote of £5,200 for 2 windows, 2 doors and two replacement blown units. For some reason the office stopped responding to post-quote emails (I was after some additional security features like deadbolts and hinge protection, etc). In the end I went with Safestyle and was charmed by the slick salesman and size of the operation. They make some big claims about quality and also speed of installation, etc, plus they ended up more or less matching the price with a slight haggle. They ended up at £4,400, (from £5,900 I think) but without the two extra replacement units I needed. I can probably get those elsewhere though and still do OK on the overall cost. Customer satisfaction seems good with Safestyle and the guarantee does seem genuine because it's independent of the company, so it doesn't matter if they go bust. You could try them and see how you feel. The discount I managed to get was in large part because my parents are pensioners and Safestyle have an over-65 discount.

Sponsored Links
i'm concerned they tell you the guarantee is independent ...if they are mentioning the 10yr if they go bust , then that is an Insurance BAcked Guarantee, your guarantee will be with Safestyle, who work on very similiar processes as Everest and Anglian Windows , and Safetsyle normally try and sell you scaffolding too for some reason
These discounts the large companies offer DO NOT exist ! They start at a hugely inflated price and offer to give you this , that and the other as a freebie/discount. A local firm will usually give you best price . Why should you have a Salesman in your house for hours , offer you non existent discounts, give you a price , then when their price is beaten match a competitor?? They were clearly happy to take ypur money at a much higher price thus , in my eyes, ripping you off , regardless of if they matched a cheaper quote. They have no loyalty to you at all, a local company will , as they thrive on their reputation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back