Recommended bathroom lighting

ColJack,
Thanks for the pointer, but I can't find any mention of IP ratings on p232 of 7671. There are several mentions of BS EN 60529 in the book, but nowhere did I find any reference to what the IP ratings mean.
:?:

Sponsored Links
By the way BAS we all know you have a pet hatred of downlights but live and let live eh !

Actually, it's not just BAS.

Ask the ESC, or many building control departments, the Building Research Establishment, or Surrey Fire Brigade about them, or even better see the advice given to contractors in Ireland in their winter newsletter, available here: http://www.ecssa.ie/newsletter.html

There is no doubt that the majority of downlight installations are not carried out to satisfactory standards - given that most electricians insert N/A in the inspection schedule box marked "Presence of fire barrires, suitable seals and protection against thermal effects" this is hardly surprising.

Of course, one does what the customer wants... "So, madam, how many fire hazards would you like?"

:evil:

Unless you have a flat roof above, or an inaccessible loft space, then it's possible to install them safely.

But it doesn't matter how well you install them - they still won't work properly.

ColJack,
Thanks for the pointer, but I can't find any mention of IP ratings on p232 of 7671. There are several mentions of BS EN 60529 in the book, but nowhere did I find any reference to what the IP ratings mean.
:?:
argh, stupid fingers..

i meant 323 not 232.. sorry my bad.. it's in with the external influences bit..

Sponsored Links
Thanks ColJack, I have it now. They don't give a reference to a BS EN, so I wonder where they got that from.
What they seem to have done in that table is take the environments from BS EN 60721-3-4, then specify which IP rating they consider to be suitable for equipment installed in that environment. Some of the choices seem to be insufficient, e.g. IPX1 or IPX2 might or might not be suitable where water vapour might condense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back