Recommended bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone have a nice bathroom lighting set up that they would recommend?

Thinking of downlighters (one above the shower area and then another 2 or 3 in the ceiling of the L shape bathroom) but wondered if anyone has an alternative that they are pleased with?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you must have down lights how about 2 over the shower area, but set very close in to the wall so you get a nice scalloped effect on your tiles? The light will bounce off the walls/tiles/ceiling, so these will suffice.

Then install decent mirror light (either integral or lights for a mirror) so you can see yourself and get a good shave.

Finally, put the d/l's on a dimmer so you can turn it lower at night - thus not blinding yourself when getting up in the middle of the night for a wee!

Some nice ideas here

http://www.lightiq.com/bathrooms.php

SB

I carry out Electrics for 2 Bathroom fitting Companies and by far the most popular set up requested by its customers for the lighting is recessed downlights...suitably I.P rated of course, but at the end of the day its whatever you prefer, there are also many surface mount fittings available at present ;again all suitably I.p.rated

I carry out Electrics for 2 Bathroom fitting Companies and by far the most popular set up requested by its customers for the lighting is recessed downlights
A man came to quote us for doing a new bathroom (from a national chain), and he was going on about what they'd do, and without asking said ". . . and get nice downlights fitted."

We werent even going to get a choice in the matter. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I carry out Electrics for 2 Bathroom fitting Companies and by far the most popular set up requested by its customers for the lighting is recessed downlights
Because:

1) They think that's all there is.

2) They don't understand how **** they are.

Steve you should have been presented with the various options, having said that , the salesman was probably only advising you of the most popular requested option....it could also have had something to do with there being more profit to be made from multiple outlets as opposed to a standard central point. ;)

Because:

1) They think that's all there is.

2) They don't understand how **** they are.

I agree careful consideration has to be given with regards to spacing and wattages but most customers request them because they have seen them elswhere installed in friends or relatives houses and they like the appearance of them and presumably the lighting level also.......Give the customer a choice of options yes ! but in the end they are paying you to do a job not to dictate to them what they should and should not have............By the way BAS we all know you have a pet hatred of downlights but live and let live eh !

I quite like their effect as well in the appropriate places, but please be aware that "IP rating" has absolutely nothing to do with the fittings' ability to withstand steam and humidity for a long period of time.

I quite like their effect as well in the appropriate places, but please be aware that "IP rating" has absolutely nothing to do with the fittings' ability to withstand steam and humidity for a long period of time.

I was under the impression that was exactly what the Ingress Protection Rating was indicating....I stand to be corrected...please expand on this....thanks.

what a daft comment.. of course a fitting IP rating has to do with how well it deals with particles and moisture..

if it hapens to be IP rated to 88 then it's pretty much submersible.. you could stick it in a bucket and no water would get in.. or air out probably..

spark1, ColJack, IP ratings are defined in IEC (or BS EN if you prefer) 60529. The first digit (number 1 to 6 ) is the degree of protection of the equipment in the enclosure against solid foreign objects, and also the degree to which persons are protected against access to live parts within the enclosure. The second digit (number 1 to:cool: is the degree of protection of the equipment against the ingress of water, which is dripped, sprayed under different pressures depending on the rating, or in the case of IPX7 and IPX8 (X indicates 'not specified') the product is immersed in water, in the case of IPX7 for 30 minutes. IPX8 is not defined but has to exceed IPX7, and the condition for passing the test is more onerous.
The longest test duration is 30 minutes for IPX7, and IPX* has to exceed that, so could be 31 minutes.
None of those tests actually prove that the fitting can withstand a long time in a humid environment without failure.
I had an IP rated fitting (not a downlighter) in the bathroom of a previous house. It went rusty on the inside!

we're all well aware of what an IP rating is thank you..

your "ip rated downlighters", you don't specify what level of IP they were.. they might have been IP 11 for all we know..

granted that your average "ip rated" downlighter for a bathroom will probably be IP x4 or 5 then obviously it's not going to be steamproof is it? and we're not claiming that they are, just disputing that and IP rating has noting to do with the ingress of moisture..

and IPx8 is submersible indefinitely up to a pressure of 0.1bar..
IPx7 is submersible where the top is no more than 150mm from the surface and the bottom no more than 1000mm..

ColJack,
I didn't actually say that the IP rating has nothing to do with the ingress of moisture, or particles. I was trying to point out, since many people don't know, that they do not deal with long-term exposure to warm moist air or steam. The tests for BS EN 60529 are performed using water at ambient temperature, and with the exception of IPx8 do not exceed 30 minutes. Where BTW did you get the 0,1 bar from?
You've made a good point that it's not just enough for a fitting to be "IP rated" since pretty well anything could be IP rated. The actual rating is what counts.

ColJack,
Thanks for that. I'm out of the UK this week but will have a look at the red book when I get back.
It's supposed to be a standard for electrical installations, what are they doing adding requirements to a basic standard? Never mind, that isn't the first time theyve exceeded their scope, and probably won't be the last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back