Recommended underlay for engineered flooring going over T&am

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any specific recommendations for an underlay for engineered wood flooring going over T&G subfloor?

I was going to use something like Timbermate Excel as I've seen it recommended a few times.

Thing is, I could be imagining this, but I thought I once read that you shouldn't use an underlay with vapor barrier over a wooden subfloor. Did I dream this, or is that right? Or does it only apply to parquet flooring?

Also, part of the room is over an internal garage, so if possible, an underlay that offered some extra thermal insulation would be good.

Sponsored Links
No, you weren't dreaming: NEVER use a DPM on a wooden or sheet material underfloor!

Timbermate Duratex is the one you should go for

Excellent - thanks for clarifying. I had thought I'd read it, but then couldn' find it again to back me up!!

Most of the ones with vapour barriers said they were not suitable over block wood or parquet flooring, rather than chipboard & T&G.

I have gone with your recommendation of the Duratex - thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back