DPM underlay for engineered wood flooring over wooden subfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I need to install an engineered wood floor this weekend. Timing is critical - it has to start tomorrow.

It's engineered wood flooring, being installed over a plywood subfloor. The room has a lot of built-in furniture (about 1/3 of the room) and I'm not installing flooring there. I want a nice heavy underlay to smoothe out any imperfections - I don't like using those fibreboard panels.

Last time I did this, I used Duralay Duratex as the underlay because it had no DPM. I understand that underlays with a DPM should be avoided on any type of wooden subfloor. However, I've had a bit of a nightmare and my order has been cancelled this time. I am without underlay. I've called interfloor and they've been monumentally useless in finding a stockist near me (SE London). I've spent an hour on google, and cannot find a stockist with Duratex, Multitex, Tuplex, or even that wood-fibre stuff on a roll. All I'm able to find is a stockist that has Timbermate XL, which has the built in DPM.

My questions are:

1) does anybody know of a stockist, open Saturdays, in SE London or Essex that stocks a suits a suitable underlay?

2) If not, is it really bad practice to use timbermate XL? A third of the floor is not going to be covered, and there is ventilation already through airblocks (the void below the floor is a good 2 feet deep).

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't use TimbermateXL, have you tried calling your local independent Flooring Shops? The business I work for are on the Surrey/Sussex Border and would sell direct to you provided we had the spare stock.

You could try Volante's, they may be open on Saturday mornings.

Thanks. I've called all of the local companies I can find, but nothing. Getting a bit desperate now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back