Recondition boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister has been offer a recondition boiler as she cannot afford a newer one,are they safe ? and what do they do to the recondition boiler ?

Been told by the plumber,the old boiler is begining to show burnt marks (whatever that mean?) so the boiler will need to be replace in the near future.

Is this a good advice from the plumber ?

Sponsored Links
Never seen a reconditioned boiler sold to the public, not usually cost effective. What burn marks ? poss some hot spots etc on the gas to water but that would not be the end of the boiler,if its still as economical and spares are available why change

Yeah, WHAT burn marks? I'd be surprised if there WEREN'T any. COG's question sums it up, why change? The plumber may be a good guy, but this sort of suggestion stinks in my opinion. I get frequent calls to quote for a replacement boiler, so I start the interrogation and what transpires is someone has told them the boiler is on it's last legs etc. Agreed the ones I see are oil boilers, but the only reason for having to have a new one is a water leak, or just cannot get parts any longer.

If they don't leak I overhaul the working bits to get it into good working order (sometimes costs a few hundred) takes all day, and they run ok afterwards.

Come on Masona, what model boiler is it?

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
Come on Masona, what model boiler is it?
Thanks for that,will pop round and see her,can't ring her for details as she's stone-deaf.

......and what do they do to the recondition boiler ?

Possibly take it out of one property, put it in van, take to next property, replace existing boiler, collect money.

I just can't see why someone would offer one of these. They would have to guarantee it for a year (unless........)

There is the same amount of work to do on one second hand unit as another, so fixing your sister's is more realistic, as it doesn't need taking off the wall and refitting.

what model boiler is it?
Not heard of it,this is the only information I could get,

Boiler make is Halstead 40H,
Serial no: 403654A985,

Halstead Heating & Engineering Ltd
Braintree,
Essex.

The central heating is a gravity system with cylinder & expansion tank etc...

The plumber trying to talk her into doing away with this system and put in a recondition combi boiler :!: The plumber also want £1500 for a new combi or £800-900 for a recondition combi including parts/labour.

The Halstead boiler has been reliable from the last 18 years and because of the burnt marks :confused: and felt the boiler should be replace unless parts are limited ( :?: ) but why a combi :!:

Sorry, what I said before is no longer accurate, it doesn't stink, it positively reeks!!!!

See if you can find somebody else.

I am lost for anything complementary to say about these people who try to sell a new boiler when the old one's working. You're associated with engineering, and you know what can be made to work even if it looks a bit poor.

Give Halstead a ring and ask them if spares are still available. (Just don't be talked into a replacement when it's not needed)

There is the matter of changing from gravity HW to pumped, but it's not mandatory, and as for a combi the HW tank will go, and ooohhh!!!.....my head hurts.....I can't go on.

Made some phone calls and you can only agt refurbished (ex display,damaged at the factory,used as a dry demonstater )boilers ,its not poss to leagaly recondition a boiler for resale only on site,the manafacture would have to do it and non would as it just looses them a sale of a new boiler.

There's nothing against 2nd hand appliances in any regulation. They are covered though I forget where, in effect saying that the thing must be properly checked. I know of about 3 outfits near me which sell recon boilers. Mostly combis which had been scaled up and were leaking, which are very cheap to sort out if you have the facilities. Sometimes conventional boilers which were taken out to be replaced by a combi, sometimes Suprimas where the owner refused to buy any more pcb's.

£180 up will buy you a reasonable combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back