Recondition interior fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fan in my Golf has packed up (2006 GTI). Replacements are expensive because it has the climate control but if you strip the unit down you get to a motor that's very hard to turn.

What sort of place would be able to fix this? Auto electrician? Tool repairs?

Any recomendations in the Rochdale area?

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Id just bite the bullet and buy a replacement, they are not terribly expensive and do a lot of work as the climate is on all the time in most modern cars. Ive brought a few back to life by oiling the bearings but they have generally gone again within a few months.

Should it have got corrosion like that in normal use? Maybe your heater plenum drain is blocked with leaves?

Sponsored Links
They are £230 new and £70 on e-bay for a 10 year old one.

Theres a place called Rochdale Retool that i'll give a try first.

I'll try and free it up but when I put a battery to it nothing at all happened.

It does look like its been damp, I didn't notice before you mentioned it Dave. I'll have a look under there too, could save the replacement going the same way.

Rochdale ReTool gave me the number for Rochdale Motor Rewinds, he said to drop it off and he will have a look to see if he can repair it. I've had a google and its a VALEO 698812, used in many cars, I could probably get one easily enough from the scrappers if it cant be reconditioned.

Thanks to you all :)

Check also the brushes are in contact with the comm, a good spray of electrical cleaner is good around this area to get all the excess carbon out.

I didn't get chance to call into the place so ended up getting one from e-bay for £38.

Works a treat :)

Just out of interest im on the lookout for a Mk 5 Gti, any tips on things to look out for?
I understand the engines after 2005 are the ones to look for?

Service history, cambelt done? Clutch and DMF OK? Accident damage? Car is as good as any but will probably have seen some action by drivers with more enthusiasm than skill.

Sponsored Links
Back