Record Deck Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I realise that this is not quite washing machine related, but i thought i'd ask anyway!

I have a recorc deck that has had the cables cut and I need to wire it up to an old amp.
The record deck has two cables that have wire inner cores and a second piece of wire surrounding insulation (the same as a TV areial cable only smaller). in addition the deck has a third black cable, which i assume is a type of earth.
The amp accepts the old large 5pin round plugs rather than the modern phono connectors.

Could anyone point me to a wiring diagram so that i don't solder this up wrong?

thanks for your help,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Eh? Are you saying that there are three cables in addition to the power cable?!

Or including the power cable?

Please state clearly, for each cable, the following:

1. Type, e.g. shielded, twin-and-earth, etc.
2. Number of conductors.
3. Whether the conductors are stranded or single core.
4. The relative size of each conductor.
5. The colour of the insulation around each conductor.

does it ook like it wants one of these ?

prd{25AA4D0C-06D6-43AF-A6F7-A1D4E6EF2B20}.jpg

Hi both,

thanks for the responses.

firstly, yes, the picture is the connector i need to connect to.

secondly,

again yes, three cables excluding the power cable.

Two are the same, but with diff colour sheilding. one red one white.
both of these have a centre core, followed by white plastic sheilding, then a stranded band around this and then the red or white outer covers.

the other one is a very thin single core cable with a black outer cover.

hope this is helpful.

thanks again,

joe

Sponsored Links
the plug i have shown is a 5 pin xlr

there would seem to be no standard way of wiring it, other thatn 1-1 2-2 etc, but that is only for an extension.

i did also find this

maplin also sell & 5 pin xlr plugs

Can racingmars confirm from your pics which plug it is as a 5pin din would be more likely used for audio connections

racingmars said:
Hi both,

thanks for the responses.

firstly, yes, the picture is the connector i need to connect to.

both are used for audio

sorry for the delay in replying, i've been away.

thanks for all the help, from the pictures it's a DIN plug that i need to connect.

can you get a phone to din convertor? thinking that this might be another option.

cheers all.

yes I thought the it would be more likely to be a 5pin din I think what breezer does't realise that to the layman they would look the same.However I am now confused by your request fo an adapter as you said the plug was 5pin din plug rather than a modern phono. you still have soldering job to do if the wires have been cut from the record deck.

If you view my earlier post link to that website you will see the correct configuration. The cut wire you have,should be two insulated inner cables. If this is from your record deck then these are left channel and right channel out. the braiding surrounding these inner cables is the earth. so twist it together at the plug or socket and solder that to the earth pin.It is not important you do not know which is the right channel or the left channel cable if you can differentiate you could simply swap your speakers over. Neither of these output cables carry dc voltage it is audio signal only

Thanks for that, you are a star!!

one last question though. what about the single black cable i have? it is small and not insulated. any ideas where this goes?

thanks again,

joe :eek:

Is this additonal a seperate cable coming from your record deck or is it another black insulated cable within the main one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back