Record Player distortion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there people,

i've had my record player for around 10-12 months now, it's my first deck and i've never had any experience in changing any of the bits before. Recently as i'm playing a record, after a few seconds the sound becomes really distorted. It's not the speakers 'cos i've changed them to test it. When i turn the power off and back on, the record sounds fine for 1-2 seconds then goes really muffled again. It happened before but sorted itself out, but now it's all the time and i have no idea what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

This is the deck - https://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/classic-lp

Sponsored Links
Are you playing it through your computer ? Are you cleaning the records before you play them ? could be a simple build up of dust on the stylus

had it playing via rca aux cable into stereo, have changed the cable and got new sound bar to play through to rule this out (and an excuse for a new toy). Happens on all records and didnt think it would be the stylus seeing as its ok for the first few seconds after powering on/off.

Change the stylus. (It should be changed regularly anyway.)
If the Power Supply is separate, try another one.
If that doesn't help then you'll need someone to check the built-in pre-Amp and equaliser circuit.

Sponsored Links
This deck contains a lot of electronics to do the analog to USB conversion. It sounds like either these internal electronics, or the power supply (wall adapter), is duff like Sam says. Not likely the stylus.

didnt think it would be the stylus seeing as its ok for the first few seconds
Exactly.

Last edited:
Pay attention. He's using the RCA (phono) sockets, NOT the USB connection.
What is a "wall adpater"? If you are referring to the external Power Supply Unit, you are merely repeating what I already wrote.
As the stylus MUST be replaced periodically, and as it MIGHT be the culprit, it's not a good idea to dismiss the possibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back