RECORDING PROGRAMMES ON SKY FREEVIEW CHANNELS

[
quote="ericmark";p="1652945"]Because you don’t have two SCART sockets on TV I would run aerial through the Sky box.
So aerial will go from Sky box to TV and from Sky box to DVD as there are two RF outputs on the Sky box and as already set up from Sky to DVD then to TV.
Using RF coax you can then with TV set to analogue watch Sky or Freeview or analogue TV as standard Sky boxes are set to channel 68 but this can be changed.

Thank you ericmark for your time and efforts in relaying information and suggestions, it is much appreciated. I think I am now finding it all a bit confusing. I have copied and printed off yours and others responses and I think I need to take a few days to read and assess.

Thanks again I truly appreciate the information you have shared with us.
Perhaps you will find us again at a later date. Cheers. sagleo

Sponsored Links
I would first try un-plugging aerial cable from DVD to TV and taking it through Sky box instead. Maybe you had a good Sky guy who programmed Sky box away from local transmitters.

If it does not work you can always put it back as it was.

If it does work then you just need extra lead from Sky box to DVD.

Hi Ken,
You sent me a couple of messages which I have only just read. I have been unable to reply directly because your Preference settings won't allow others to send you messages unless they're on your friends list.

Here's what I was going to ask: I know you said your areas isn't due for the digital switchover until 2012, but can you get any Freeview channels right now?. Does the Freeview tuner in your TV pick anything up?

I noted
Which is rather a flat part of UK and I would not have expected he would be stuck in a valley like in Wales with problems getting any signals.
The Freeview data does show MUX listings so I think he will have Freeview.

However Suffolk also has a problem with Isotropic propagation (Skip) and during certain times of the year the reflective layer can be below the aerial level on local masts so signals can be wiped out.

At the same time the Dutch transmitters are under the layer and Dutch station interference is a real problem.

As a radio ham down there for a time it was great as on VHF one could get some really good contacts and the local weather man also a ham would alert us by saying "This weather may cause some problems with your TV" which was really saying "Come on lads conditions are great at the moment turn on your rig" however at that time there was no freeview and I guess there will be problems.

The big problem is Sky don't seem to care about terrestrial TV and in this area before the change over we also had a MUX on channel 68 and loads of people were complaining they could not get Channel 5 which was on that MUX. It seemed the Sky box where the aerials were feed through it would transmit not only on the two outputs but also the input and this was not only stopping Sky users from getting Channel 5 but neighbours as well.

I am guessing he will have the same problem as we did. Hope you can help him as being dyslexic what I say is not always what I intend to say.

Maybe you can write it so it is easier for him to understand?

Sponsored Links
Life will be much simpler when every TV and every recorder has its own decoder. It will be as easy as when we all just used to watch terrestrial analogue TV.

I bought a pair of DVD recorders with Freeview to get past a similar problem. I have cable TV but it only has one one decoder output, so you can't watch one program and record another.

Using the Freeview recorders they have almost all the programs I actually watch (and lots I don't) so I find I almost never bother with the cable now (except for On Demand). Luckily the cable TV was thrown in free with my phone and broadband contract.

I noted

The Freeview data does show MUX listings... problem with Isotropic propagation... reflective layer... Dutch transmitters... radio ham...

Maybe you can write it so it is easier for him to understand?
Yeah, I'd seen Suffolk too. But I did a little research before posting my previous replies and found there's some regional variations, so I thought it best to get it straight from Ken what his set can and can't do. That way we have a solid basis for advice rather than making guesses :D

The thing is that Ken has a Freeview capable TV and recorder. So potentially he has equipment that could work the same as it did with analogue only; but the Freeview reception has to be there. Only Ken can answer that question.

It may be that Freeview is available to him but his sets aren't tuned, or he just isn't using Freeview. Whatever the situation, until we walk Ken through this a step at a time then all we are doing is jumping to conclusions. :)

Hi Ken,
You sent me a couple of messages which I have only just read. I have been unable to reply directly because your Preference settings won't allow others to send you messages unless they're on your friends list.

Here's what I was going to ask: I know you said your areas isn't due for the digital switchover until 2012, but can you get any Freeview channels right now?. Does the Freeview tuner in your TV pick anything up?

Hello Chris thank you for responding. Yes, we are receiving freeview channels, excellent reception too.

Re preference settings...my good wife and I will need to check those out, my apologies that you were unable to reply directly I will try to sort that.

I will be mulling over all the information yourself and other good members have so generously supplied. We are a little boggled at the moment with it and will take our time digesting all the information. I feel sure it will generate further qwuestions and I will be posting again.

I can't thank all you members enough, you have all been so very kind. My wife says she wishes you were all next door neighbours, then you could all come in and hands on help us sort it.
Thank you Chris and everyone. sagleo

I wonder where in Suffolk you are. I lived in Leiston and there was a really good radio club there and I am sure they would all help. It seemed in general a friendly area and I am sure if you called at any house with a large aerial they would help. I think all to do with being farming community. However the comments "Can't drive tractor and read and write" was unfounded and I found some really queued up people and yet still very approachable. I was quite shocked having met Dick quite a few times to walk into a lecture on early days of radar to find my mate Dick was Sir Richard Davies and he had been very involved in Radar design during the war. Unfortunately now passed away. So I am sure there is a friendly local Radio Ham who would help you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back