Time signal when analogue stops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My recorders use the analogue signal to set the time and date and don't have freeview built in. Using Freesat and Sky I have no need to record programs from freeview and even if I did the TV scart has an output so I can record freeview while watching sky or vice versa however I would like a set top box to convert digital time and date signal into analogue time and date signal but can't find one.

Are any made?

Sponsored Links
I believe that "analogue" time signal is actually a digital signal forming part of the teletext data. So very unlikely anyone would produce a freeview tuner that could then generate a video signal with teletext embedded and then modulate that onto a UHF carrier for you to feed into your VCR, I'm afraid.

Might be a nice little DIY project if you are into programming PICs! You could use a GPS or MSF receiver module to get the time signal - they have a serial data output that could be read by a PIC.

Lots of info on the above on Google, BTW - search on "MSF Module"

does it actually use the analogue tv signal, or does it use the time signal, which I'm sure will continue as it's a very specific signal used by many radio clocks the country over..?

Sorry, which "it " are you referring too.

The VCR uses the time signal embedded in the (digital) teletext data which is transmitted on some of the spare lines of the analogue video signal. Once analogue TV teletext transmissions end, that's the end of it.

A GPS receiver/clock uses the clock data it gets from the GPS constellation.

A radio clock/watch receives the MSF time signal, which used to come from Rugby but now comes from Anthorn Radio Station in Cumbria under a contract with the NPL. This is on 60kHz long wave and is nothing to do with TV at all - but VCR's don't use it. There is also a German time signal that some radio clocks use

Sponsored Links
I believe that "analogue" time signal is actually a digital signal forming part of the teletext data. So very unlikely anyone would produce a freeview tuner that could then generate a video signal with teletext embedded and then modulate that onto a UHF carrier for you to feed into your VCR, I'm afraid.

Might be a nice little DIY project if you are into programming PICs! You could use a GPS or MSF receiver module to get the time signal - they have a serial data output that could be read by a PIC.

Lots of info on the above on Google, BTW - search on "MSF Module"

I was never very good at programming PIC's but does seem an interesting project.

However my Sky box died and has been replaced with a Sky+ box so program timing is no longer a problem. Not sure how much I will lose going from Hard Drive in Sky+ to Hard Drive in DVD recorder but looking at how few programs it can store on the Sky+ hard drive it must be quite high resolution? It has a drive double the size of DVD recorder yet stores less than quarter of number of programs that the DVD does when using EP setting which not having HD eyes is plenty good enough for me.

Was the original question ever resolved?
My analogue signal has been switched off. I use a Toshiba RD-XV47 recorder. I have an old Sky dish and digibox with a Freesat from Sky card that connects to the SKART input on the Tosh. I also have a TVonics Freesat box that has a modulated output so that is connected to the "aerial in" on the Tosh so I effectively almost have a free Sky+ set up, albeit not so convenient to program but I can watch one record another. This weekend we had our first power cut since analogue switch off and the Tosh did not restore date and time. I read the manual and it said “To set the clock automatically, the channel assigned to ‘P04’ must receive the PDC signal and the Decoder must be Off” so I tuned P04 to the Freeview box. It was still unable to restore date and time. Am I missing something or is this not possible? I've emailed Toshiba and Freeview but with no reply as yet.

All replies I got told me nothing I can do. We now have Sky+ and that means no longer can I set the Sky box to change channel when I want it to. It records instead, so now I can not really use hard drive / DVD recorder to record direct in the way I could before. So now I have to manually transfer from one hard drive (Sky+) to other hard drive (Philips) real time.

As a result the time on the Philips hard drive is not a issue any more. It is still used to record from DV web cam and also handy having 6 hours instead of 1 hour (Sky+) rewind on live TV.

But sorry it seems it all has to be done manual now.

You could go to the Greenwich time signal clock and compare it with your other time signals to see which one is the closest match.
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/[/QUOTE]
I think you have missed the point. The old analogue TV signal had a time signal with it and many analogue VCR and DVD recorders would use this to auto correct their internal clocks and so would re-set time automatic after a power cut.
The question is do any of the set top boxes convert the digital time signal and re-transmit as an analogue time signal so keeping the boxes time correct?
It seems non do and the boxes must now be set manually where they have that option.

So what you need is an MSF receiver that outputs the signal in the correct format via RF through a rf stage & pass through so it can be put in line with the aerial ?

Now where can the signal format be found?

Thanks for your replies - looks like there is not a solution. I haven't heard from Toshiba or Freeview but I suppose that would involve customer service.
I suppose I shall have to accept it is another failure of the digital revolution. Apt on Ceefax's birthday - what an abomination the digital version is compared with FastText, it makes the world wide wait on dialup seem quite fast. Perhaps I am cynical because I live in the sticks over 5 miles from a BT exchange so get 720 broadband on a good day and my Freeview comes from a relay transmitter so only get a limited number of channels, they don't publicise that one do they. It's a good job my Father-in-Law died and I was able to convert his old Sky box and dish to FreesatFromSky for the cost of a card and a meter, that is until Sky switch it off and I have to find a way of receiving BBC/ITV Freesat. It's a hard life in the country but I suppose I can enjoy the views and a whiff of manure.

I've now had a response from Toshiba so it looks like these "legacy" devices only support analogue updates.

"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Toshiba RDXV47.

As the analogue signal is now switched off there is no way of setting the clock automatically. You will have to set the clock manually which details are on Page 31 of the Owners Manual."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back