Freeview Recorder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I normally use Freesat for TV watching and recording, but I live in a wooded area that interferes with the signals quite a lot at this time of year.
My Freeview reception in OK. all of the time.
Would appreciate advice on the best "standby" Freeview recorder to fall back on!

Sponsored Links
I like the BT Freeview recorders as also play netflix and Amazon (but not Disney+).

Also seachs and plays TV programs from sites such as BBC, C4, etc

Basically makes dumb TV's smart.

I like the Hard Disk function as for recorded programmes can fast forward through adverts (which cannot do on say C4 or ITV+.

Need to get them second hand.
Bigger the hard disk the newer and better they are.

Sfk

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
general comments
i have 2 boxes in the house and one in the shed
2 are 500 an one is 1k
all my veiwing is by recording all programs except the the odd bbc that i will watch as part off my daily routine on the day off broadcast so no adverts or unwanted content
500 seems to be about 4-5 weeks worth or recording
asda did have a recorder for £129 as a basic box but doesnt seem available now with around £175 being the cheepest about last time i looked about 6 months ago

I have a couple of Humax recorders here, surplus to requirements. There a HDR-1800T and a HDR-2000T. Both with original remotes and brand new aftermarket remotes too. They're smart, but like most smart TVs, DVD players etc the smart features pack in after a while. A £40 Fire TV stick is massively better if you wan smart. LMK.

i dont understand usbs other than record digital information
i assume trying to record a series on a usb or other memmory thingy will not be as easy as a box or am i miles out ??
other thoughts does the tv run with picture when recording but not veiwed as in 90% energy usage [perhaps 18w] as opposed to say 8w for a freeveiw recorder??

i dont understand usbs other than record digital information
i assume trying to record a series on a usb or other memmory thingy will not be as easy as a box or am i miles out ??
other thoughts does the tv run with picture when recording but not veiwed as in 90% energy usage [perhaps 18w] as opposed to say 8w for a freeveiw recorder??
Series recording might be okay. A lot depends on the TV software and whether it supports the series link feature.

The thing that I think catches a lot of folk out is expecting USB recording to work like a an old school VCR with the TV; you know, recording one channel while the TV is tuned to another. Many of these TVs with USB recording just won't do that.

If you want to record the channel you're watching, then that's fine. You can even pause live TV and rewind with many. Recording something when the TV isn't on is also fine. What sucks though is setting the recording, and then finding it either failed, or the TV switched over from the channel you're watching to the one it is set to record because there's only one tuner. A proper digital TV recorder doesn't do that. It has two or more TV tuners. Three is quite common. This means being able to use the box to record two overlapping programmes without worrying that one will fail or missing the end of the first show or beginning of the second. Just try doing that with your USB recording and see how far you get.

thanks lucud i virtually never watch live but thinking off it sounds complicated ?
also need the record 2 and watch i facility

ooo and vcr 30 -35 years ago i had several vcrs in different rooms broadcasting to the main tv and back out on another aeriel cable throught the house and shed but couldnt get it to work with recorder boxes as they didnt have rf out that i could see :unsure::LOL:

ooo and vcr 30 -35 years ago i had several vcrs in different rooms broadcasting to the main tv and back out on another aeriel cable throught the house and shed but couldnt get it to work with recorder boxes as they didnt have rf out that i could see :unsure::LOL:
RF modulators are the things that turns the AV signal into something that will travel down some coax and be decoded by a TV's analogue tuner. Sky satellite receivers (Sky+HD PVRs) had this. So did a few DVD recorders. The shift over to digital-only reception on Freeview PVRs though seemed to mark the turning point at which fewer new devices would have it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back