Rectifying damp on external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gable wall has internal damp which appears to rise from the ground up

I identified that that the existing floor outside (concrete) was at least two brick courses above the DPC

So I've made a chase and dug out the concrete

I have gone two brick courses below the DPC now

Now is it best practice to install a membrane to prevent weeds and then add gravel/ pebbles?

Or is it best to install a French drain?

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_083000178_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220308_083000178_HDR.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Not 20mm gravel, after a year it compacts back to solid again. Really you could do with large pebbles... like you get on a beach, air can circulate then... shouldn't need membrane.

I don't think it seems wet enough for a French Drain.

What was your solution @veedee as I am doing the same to my house at the moment? Thanks in advance

What was your solution @veedee as I am doing the same to my house at the moment? Thanks in advance

Hi @Nick2847

No french drain needed. I confirmed with my builder friend who does this all the time.

He said that a membrane was not necessary, but for my own sanity and for a little bit of money I installed one.

Just make sure that you buy a good membrane, that prevents weed growth but allows water to get to ground

I finished the job off with pebbles

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back