Rectifying non compliant electrical work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are in the process of selling our house.

In our ignorance we asked my father (a DIY'er) to install a new shower and underfloor heating in our bathroom as well as running some new sockets in our kitchen. We are only now aware that this was non compliant with building regulations. Could anyone please tell us how you could best rectify this problem and what the correct course of action would be?

I am guessing it is to rip it all out and have an part p certified electrition do it ?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
well he is just a DIY'er and now after doing some research I have read how it needs to be done by an electrition with part p certification and the work needs to be submitted to local building controls ... or something like this.

He just did it! so it was non compliant because we didn't do any of this.

and to clarify, we didn't get the work certified by a part p qualified electrition either.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, get an electrician to check the work, then you will know if you will know if it complies and is safe.

Kind regards,

DS

Best course of action is as the above.
Get a competent electrician to give it the once over and see what they come back with.
Your are correct in saying that some work will require to be notified to building controls, this work would be the installation/swapping of a consumer unit, a new circuit or any electrical work within the zones 0,1 and 2 of the bathroom.
This would not include replacing existing electrical appliances within the bathroom.

The concerns of having a DIY dad, is do they know the requirements of the wiring regs and do they know how to inspect/test and prove what they have done is safe?

As others have said, it's probably 'decent' to get your Dad's work checked out by an electrician to make sure that it is safe (and, I guess, have it rectified if it is deemed to be unsafe).

However, beyond that ('safe'), if I were in your position, I would personally not worry too much about whether or not the work had been strictly compliant with regulations or the fact that it's very probable that 'notifiable' work was not notified to your local authority. Provided that you are completely honest in your replies to conveyancing questions about electrical work, no particular harm is likely to arise - the worst probably being that a prospective buyer might try to use it as an excuse for trying to negotiate a small reduction in price. ... so admit that the work has been done, by a DIYer, and if/when they ask for documentation tell them that there is none (but give them whatever report of 'safety' your electrician provides). That's what I'd do, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

well he is just a DIY'er and now after doing some research I have read how it needs to be done by an electrition with part p certification and the work needs to be submitted to local building controls ... or something like this.
Not correct. Anyone competent may do the work, but the local authority Building Control needs to be notified.

thanks for all your replys, I will be contacting some electritions tommorow!

at least I know the right procedure for the next house, and hopefully it wont turn into a very financially painful a lesson

As above, you don't need to worry or spend excessive money. I'm pretty sure you can just sign an indemnity also?

Not worth the paper they are written on. The chances of a local authority seeking enforcement action because of non-notified electrical work are so small that any indemnity policy would be a waste of money.

Not worth the paper they are written on. The chances of a local authority seeking enforcement action because of non-notified electrical work are so small that any indemnity policy would be a waste of money.
Agreed. Having said that, if the issue of an indemnity arises, it will be suggested/requested by a buyer, so if it made the buyer feel happy, and if (and seems probable, given the extremely low risk) the cost was very low, it might be worth just doing it. However, I doubt that the issue would even arise.

Kind Regards, John

I would ask your father to fill in the installation certificate and date it before 2004 when Part P came in. The forms can be down loaded from IET website for free.

The main problem is the underfloor heating in a bathroom there are rules as to what type can be used. If you have a permitted type then great if not just disconnect it.

If not complaint with BS 7671 at the time of fitting then clearly either disconnect or up-grade but if simply does not comply with notification under Part P forget it.

It is recognised all property should be tested and inspected at intervals and with a house it's every 10 years or change of occupant. What it does not say is who should pay for testing but to my mind until the property changes hands then you could do something between the EICR and it changing hands so really it should be done by the new owner.

Where something is hidden for example a junction box under a floor board then it is not reasonable for the electrician inspecting to find these faults so new owners could have some redress but where items are easy to see as with new sockets in the kitchen then any faults will be highlighted with a EICR and so it is down to the electrician doing the report.

Should the new owners not have a report done then that's their lookout not yours.

I would ask your father to fill in the installation certificate and date it before 2004 when Part P came in. The forms can be down loaded from IET website for free.
We haven't been told when the work was undertaken but, if what you suggest above does not correspond to the truth, I would strongly advise anyone against explicitly falsifying any documentation - that is the one thing which can potentially have serious legal/financial consequences. Nor would it necessarily be that difficult to get 'caught' - if any of the work involves harmonised colours cables, it could not possibly have been undertaken "before 2004".

It's not the installation certificate, per se, which is the problem. If one claims (untruthfully) that work was undertaken in or before 2004, then one will also have to lie on the conveyancing form, which asks whether electrical work has been undertaken since 1st January 2005. It's giving a false answer to that question which, if found out, can potentially cause problems.

As I said, I believe that being totally honest is the best and simplest course. It's then up to a potential buyer to decide what, if anything, they want to do about it - there's nothing illegal about selling a house which has had 'unnotified' electrical work undertaken, provided one does not lie about it.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Whoops :oops: ... crucial missing work added. Thanks to EFLI for noticing!

As I said, I believe that being totally honest is the best and simplest course. It's then up to a potential buyer to decide what, if anything, they want to do about it - there's nothing illegal about selling a house which has had 'unnotified' electrical work undertaken, provided one does NOT lie about it.
I agree now. :)

Just tell the truth; it doesn't matter.
You have already allowed for it in the asking price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back