Recycling oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some oak for a few projects, short boards around 4-5" wide by about 1.5" thick.

I'm thinking of buying a used oak dining table off eBay and cutting it up. I have a bench saw, plunge saw, router etc so I'm happy with cutting and putting a simple bevel on it but I'm not sure about finishing the cut edges, will it just be a matter of a quick sanding and applying the new finish (probably a clear varnish)?

Screenshot_20231229-121901-545.png

Sponsored Links
Ask around local floorers. Currently on a project where we've had more than 10,000 square feet of solid oak flooring installed (listed building refurb), and whilst there is still a bit more to do it looks likely that the floorers will be taking a couple of van loads back with them at the end of the job

I need some oak for a few projects, short boards around 4-5" wide by about 1.5" thick.

I'm thinking of buying a used oak dining table off eBay and cutting it up. I have a bench saw, plunge saw, router etc so I'm happy with cutting and putting a simple bevel on it but I'm not sure about finishing the cut edges, will it just be a matter of a quick sanding and applying the new finish (probably a clear varnish)?

View attachment 327702

Yes, those tools will work fine.

Oak is hard so you need sharp tools and using a router or bench saw you need to plan your cuts so you can avoid stopping as theres a risk of burning - and it’s very hard to sand out.

for end grain, just cut with a sharp TCT blade then sand

regarding finishing avoid polyurethane varnishes they can look plastics on oak, maybe use polyx oil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back