Oak table- Refurbish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a nice 30 year old oak table, that needs some tlc. The table top is made from 3 lenghts of oak butted together and has been poly varnished about 10 years ago. Where the individual lengths butt together gaps have fomed some 13 inches long and about 1/8th inch wide, which dirt has got into and i want to clean it out. I would also like to get all the varnish off and finish in a flat oil.

What sort of tools can be used to clean the dirt out of these cracks.

Also what is the best approach to removing the varnsih and oiling the oak.

Is this a job for professionals?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy

This may be a job for a professional. The gaps you are talking about are shrinkage gaps and are very normal. No special tools required to get the muck out of the gaps an old screwdriver will do fine.

To do the job like a job in the town you will need to take the table apart not completely apart just remove the parts that can be removed with ease, then you can strip the table components with a lot more ease. Once you have stripped the table you will need to wash the table in white sprite this will clean the residue of the striper from the timber. Make good any repairs to the table before assemble and before putting any form of finish on the timber. Put the first coat of oil on the timber before assembly and the final finish after assembly.

But if in doubt hand the project over to a professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back