Red anti-freeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a tub of this at the local Andrew Page for my Rover 45 TD.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autochem-...967321?hash=item41a27ce119:g:QEEAAOSwLN5Wln5J

I remember years ago when I got some RoverMG red antifreeze being told you have to be careful with the 45 TD engine as you can only put organic anti-freeze in it. The AP counter staff told me the above is quite suitable for the engine.

By the way, if I flush it out first, would it do for a 2009 Hyundai i20 1.4 petrol ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sure, that's fine for the Hyundai.
Your business entirely, but won't your local motor factor match the price - or is just inconvenient for you?
John :)

I got the 5L tub at Andrew Page. £11 + vat

I phoned 1st thing and asked if they had red long life for a Rover 45 TD and that's what the gave me when I called in.

Better than £30 on ebay for the same product.

Get my 45 TD anti-freezed, then my sister's i20 anti-freezed, front pads changed then MOT'd.

For sure, that's an excellent price, similar to Carplan stuff and cheaper than Comma.
Curiously enough, I have found Kia / Hyundai discs to last better than almost every other manufacturer for some reason.
Regards

Sponsored Links
As far as discs, I'd say its down to the quality of the steel.

As far as the red antifreeze goes, I was going to buy Millers brand but when I phoned AP, they reckoned they sell a lot of Autochem and there's no bother with it. So long as it doesn't knack my precious diesel engine, that's all I ask.

Disc wise it has to be something to do with the chromium content of the sintered material, but Kia seem to be actually better than Audi, to my surprise.
For me, the coolant and oil choice of the day is Mannoil so I'm sticking with that for now.

Don't think you'll beat that!
I like to fill that fuel filter with clean diesel using 'er indoors milk jug :eek: Saves cranking the engine for a while and gives you an instant start.

How much and how long does postage take on the
A well priced Mannol 5w40 / SCT Germany filters service kit for a Bora TDI I have to do at the end of the month.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361457997...2d707c8ceb0&bu=43114416475&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Good price that,how much and how long is postage?
Ive used the Autochem stuff a lot in the past and had no issues with it.
Seen this too, covers later common rail and i believe its cross compatable with the pd engine too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-VW-Q...856182?hash=item43e7264e76:g:9RgAAOSwFqJWoOZs

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That's exactly the stuff I've been using and happily I'm getting it even cheaper by about a quid. Better than the dealer price of £70 + for the Quantum :eek:
PD engines used to have a specific oil but as you say that's largely disappeared.
I just hope the specification is correct and it is what its claimed to be!

I used to get oil/filter changes for the Bora TDI at the local VW, Quantum 5w40/filter for normal service or 0w30/filter for extended service.

I got the 5w40 since the car is high mileage and I think regular changes are better for it.

Sadly the price went from £30 to £45m at VW hence service kits from ebay these days. Been getting £30 Pennasol 5w40/Comline oil filter set of the same seller for the past three changes.

The red Autochem seems good quality. I put 2.5 liters in my 45 TD so hopefully all done for 5 years, provided the car lasts that long!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back