Red ants. Indestructible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

My lawn has had a couple of red ants nests in for several years now. I've tried boiling water, bait stations, various granules, baking soda mixed with caster sugar - you name it. Nothing seems to keep them down for more than a week, so my assumption is that the queen is still down there somewhere, pumping out the little red bast*rds and laughing at my feeble attempts to finish her off.

Has anybody got any fresh ideas on how to kill the nests? I know they won't stay away for ever, but it might be nice to go through a Summer without having to destroy my lawn trying to kill them off.

Sponsored Links
Nippon liquid.

It is a poison in a little plastic tube. It is so delicious that they take back to the nest to share with their friends. It can destroy a nest in less than a week.

Put a couple of drops on a non-absorbent surface such as a coin, lay a few in their traffic areas, replenish daily and after rain.

Borax and icing sugar? Works for me..

A 50/50 mix, placed in a washed 2L milk container top, left in a dry sheltered location, along one of their routes.
Hmmm, isn't Borax illegal in the UK? I can't see anywhere to buy it without some sort of license.

Sponsored Links
Substitutes are available but it is no longer sold in household products due to birth defects.

You never really get rid of ants: there's always one or two survivors after any chemical holocaust you inflict on them.
I tend to go after them during July, when their eggs are close to the surface and before the air corps takes to the skies.

Lucky to only have two ant nests, my lawn breaks out in loads of nests every year. Last year I counted over 10!

Dig, flood, throw in pebbles/aggregates/rocks, then cover. You would have ruined their environment. They are temperature sensitive.

Hmmm, isn't Borax illegal in the UK? I can't see anywhere to buy it without some sort of license.
Added to basket with no problems. Maybe show license on accepting delivery?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Boric acid works quite well instead of borax.

And Ant powder is usually an organophoshate, as found in russian perfume a few years back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back