Ants in the house again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On Sunday last, I spotted around half a dozen partying under a dresser in the kitchen, then later it had become dozens, so I researched the online remedies again. More concerning was an single ant I spotted in a kitchen unit where food is stored.

I wasn't keen on the cotton wool dipped in borax and icing sugar solution I had used last time, because they stick to what ever surface you put them on. The idea I used this time was 1 borax to 10 icing sugar, mixed with water to a paste, which is put in bottle caps (fresh orange juice and 2L milk container caps), the caps put on a square of cooking foil, with a drop of the mix placed on the foil as a temptation.

The suggestion on the site, was that you don't want too much borax in the mix, or the ants will be dead before they make it back to the nest. Rather they need to take it back, to then kill the entire nest, but it may take a week or so to happen. OK, so I gave it a try and watched the progress.

The number under the unit at first increased, a sort of ant route line began to show up leading from under the unit and across a doorway, as had happened last time. Sometimes there were no ants to be seen, sometimes lots. Most often I would see them by shining a torch in the area when it was dark. Are ants more active in the dark?

It does seem to be working and faster than last time, I have not seen a single ant since yesterday morning.

Sponsored Links
I just sprinkle ant powder at point of entry , works every time . Though not seen any since we hard landscaped the garden .

I just sprinkle ant powder at point of entry , works every time . Though not seen any since we hard landscaped the garden .

I don't want the dog being able to access it, it's not good for them, besides, I have not been able to track down where they are coming in. Their route traces back and across an internal doorway, the door between kitchen and the hall. The route then disappears into the skirting on an internal wall separating kitchen from living room. No trace of them anywhere else, although last year, we seemed to have a second separate problem at the far end of the hall, by the front door.

They were appearing out of the skirting next to the front door, there is no sign of that this year. All I have seen were one or two outside the front door.

What is offensive about it you have already stated you trawl the net looking for your latest kept skivvy to be at your beck and call.

I don't trawl the Internet as you put it. I use the modern way to meet members of the opposite sex, a perfectly normal thing to do.

Now get off the Internet and go and get your hoover and Mr sheen out keep yourself busy.

Absolutely no need to clean what is already clean and polished, instead I had the washing done before 7am, now out to dry on my line. I plan to go out for a leisurely lunch later, by my return the washing will be dry, judging by the forecast. I am always busy, always plenty to do - doing things for myself, or helping others.

Not bad twice in less than a day you have been caught out telling porkies about who you have blocked.
I will block people then unblock them each time to see what they have said I can see your logic there :) :)

Technical not your thing is it? I sometimes unblock, just to read some of the stupid mindless comments you and Andy make in response to my own, more generally, I just leave them blocked.

Sponsored Links
You need to get a magic basket , I throw all my clothes in it in the evening and by morning they are all washed, ironed and appear in the drawers.

They're back. One spotted Saturday, seven Sunday and many more yesterday. A bit of research suggests, that they tend to come indoors when the weather warms up, which coincides with a lot of rain. We have had exactly that, over the past few days. Yesterday, I set up the 50/50 mix of borax and icing sugar, this time combined with some honey as an extra attraction. Apparently a bit of dry mix, and wet mix, helps kill both those out seeking food, and some taken back to the nest, to kill those at the nest.

Loads of them spotted out in the garden, so I'm looking to devise some sort of device to be able to safely leave the poison outside, inaccessible to animals, and protected from rain.

I'm buyo g a air rifle to control my rat problem. I could lend you it.

You're not w*nking too much are you harry?

Apparently ants have a certain attraction to the outcome of that...

"Semen contains sugar molecules, like every cell in one’s body. The extra sugars secreted in semen add to the effect. Ants can drink from fresh and sugary liquid to gain energy, and prefer sugar to keep themselves up and moving. Though it may be gross, ants might drink semen and gain nutrition from it"

Hence the phrase 'ants in your pants' ;)

Find the gap(s) and seal them up. You should be able to follow them, see where they do.

No gaps = no ants = no poison

Sealing all the gaps in a brick built home, against tiny ants, is impossible. She said she spotted lots this morning, but I've seen none at all later in the day. Maybe the've taken the bait?

Sponsored Links
Back