Ants again

This is a topic I am very interested in.

I fking hate ants. There is something distinctly creepy and evil about them. The way they appear in such large numbers, are so small they can get through the walls of houses, and how they behave in a collective fashion. True communists. They're clever as well and will take what is yours.

I bought this house a couple of years ago and it was obvious that the old lady who had occupied it for many years hadn't kept on top of problems like the ants. They will take over if they are not fought and I wage chemical and biological warfare against them. I now take a pleasure in killing them.

Last summer I killed hundreds of Queen ants that were swarming around. There are different types and they all have a role to play in their ghastly civilization.

The bastards got through the front wall in my first year here, around the time, in late summer, when they go mental and all the queens come out. They also got in at a point along the side and at the back. They had basically infested parts of the cavity, probably having started out in the back garden where neighbours report they get them.

I took the opportunity to blow ant powder under skirting boards whilst I was renovating rooms and at other points where they got in. So that will deter them going forward. I also go around the house checking at this time of year and putting ant power all along the bottom of the outside walls in key zones. They seem to know that stuff is bad news and avoid it. I have found that those black circular things they're meant to walk into do not work. They are wise to them.

One thing that has helped me combat bugs has been replacing the back patio. I took up all the old concrete flags last summer, which were set on a bed of muck and sand - and this whole edifice of material was effectively a massive bug colony right next to the house. It was all scraped out and replaced with MOT and hard mortar for the new Indian stone. I think that project had the benefit of wiping out lots of bug colonies and I haven't had a single wood louse in my house this year, where as last year they kept coming in. Just having them in numbers alongside the house will result in intrusions, either accidental (wood lice) or deliberate (ants).

The ants seem to have been fought back to the lawn, for now. I spray ant power wherever I see their activity. I did so earlier. The other day, as I was removing a tree trunk in the beds, a large number appeared in the soil. I poured a kettle of boiling water all over them. Then threw in a load of ant powder. I want to learn about how to find the core of their colonies and I will dig down and kill them all. They must be fought back to outer reaches of the property and beyond.

The very best product for combating crawling insects, in my experience, is called Dethlac. You spray it on surfaces outside, and it stays there for months on end. Every single bug that walks on it will be dead within hours. Unfortunately, it is getting harder to pick this stuff up - no doubt another example of legislation banning anything that actually works.

I'll say this to finish: it's a permanent war against them that requires constant vigilance and action. You will win with persistence!

Ps. There is a weird old science fiction film called Phase IV where ants take over the world. Advanced weapons do not work against them. It might be on YouTube. Do not give these evil scum an inch!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There was a video on line a good while back we’re they excavated a massive redundant ant nest

Ant city they called it

They calculated that given the size and depth of the nest that the ants had excavated some thing like 40 tons of soil !!!!

There was a video on line a good while back we’re they excavated a massive redundant ant nest

Ant city they called it

They calculated that given the size and depth of the nest that the ants had excavated some thing like 40 tons of soil !!!!

I like those videos on YouTube where a guy pours molten aluminum into the colony and it creates a massive sculpture comprising all the filled passageways.

I've just checked online and Dethlac seems a little easier to come by than a year ago but no longer being sold in shops like B&Q. It is more expensive now as well. I just ordered three cans from ebay, free postage, for 18 quid which is the best price I can find. I will be spraying it around the bottom of the whole house and in other areas. It does say on the can not to spray on "absorbant" surfaces but I've found it works well on brick and concrete etc. Will stay there for a long time, through all weather conditions, and will kill em all.

Sponsored Links
If you have an ant problem, just use small quantities of Nippon Liquid (a sticky gel that comes in a tube like a small toothpaste tube)

You do not spray it around large areas.

Just put a couple of drops on a clean, non-absorbent surface such as a coin, near your doorway or other places of entry, where they walk. Use several around your property.

I think it contains sugar, so they will cluster round and carry it back to the nest to share with their friends.

This will wipe out a nest in a matter of days. They excrete it inside the nest.

Wash and replenish the baits when they get dirty or used up. Rain will wash it away.

You do not need to kill animals outside your home in the natural environment.

If you have ants causing a nuisance inside your house, you are free to deal with them.

If you have an ant problem, just use small quantities of Nippon Liquid (a sticky gel that comes in a tube like a small toothpaste tube)

You do not spray it around large areas.

Just put a couple of drops on a clean, non-absorbent surface such as a coin, near your doorway or other places of entry, where they walk. Use several around your property.

I think it contains sugar, so they will cluster round and carry it back to the nest to share with their friends.

This will wipe out a nest in a matter of days. They excrete it inside the nest.

Wash and replenish the baits when they get dirty or used up. Rain will wash it away.

You do not need to kill animals outside your home in the natural environment.

Verified.

I bought two Nippon bait traps for under a tenner and placed one under the sink overnight where i thought they were finding their way into the kitchen. Nothing. I was wrong.
So the next morning i put the trap beneath the kitchen cupboard as i knew they liked to make their way up to the top where sugar crumbs satiated their sweet tooth. By lunchtime there was a steady stream of 'em scurrying to and fro, like Chelsea fans on their way to wember-leee last weekend. I left 'em to it all afternoon and well into the evening then checked again the following morning and...nothing. All was calm, but for a solitary ant by a tiny hole under the cork expansion strip between parquet in the hall and tile in the kitchen. Cunning critters!
I assume the rest of 'em went to bed that night and stayed there. Permanently. Like Chelsea fans after their trip to Ashburton Grove. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back