1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Ants....

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by sxturbo, 27 Jun 2021.

1. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Having trouble with ants,

There are currently 10 ant mounds in my garden, year on year there appears to me more and more families and I am now at the point where I don't want to be ignoring it any further.

I have tried making my own ant killer using borax, this seems to have failed miserably, I have tried many many different versions but each fail to attract ants. I've tried the same with peanut butter but also failed to entice them.

I've used Nippon gel in the ant traps, Ms also tried ant stop. But they just aren't interested.

We have a lot of wildlife in our garden and a cat, and neighbours cats, do I don't want to put ant powder down ( and chances are they wouldn't like this either).

I'm not sure what to do next.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Move? :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike13

Mike13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A brief spin with a rotorvator at the site of the nests? I may make them move after a few disruptions.

Or you could tip boric acid powder straight into the nests on a dry day, keep doing that and they will distribute enough around the nursery to kill the larvae.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    could you put down powder and cover it so animals cant get it?

they are a nuisance -I get them in some of our pots -its a right game -I have to end up tipping out the pot, washing it then putting in new compost in the spring

6. pidgeon1

pidgeon1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have ants in our lawn, but there are two green wood peckers always are digging in that area.

7. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Suppose I could dig a bit then poor in the power and then cover up with soil

8. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I don't use ant traps, but i use the Nippon liquid in a miniature toothpaste tube, and it works fine.

you put a drip on a clean non-absorbent surface such as a coin near where they walk, and they will carry it back to the nest to share.

replenish daily and after rain.

i believe it is sugary. You can put some kind of heavy cover over it if you want to dissuade wildlife, but I have never seen animals or birds eating it. There is only one drop per coin.

For me it worked in a matter of days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sponsored Links