Red Cedar fance paint question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

First time post. Im having an issue with red cedar fence paint colour match. I bought a house 2 years ago and the garden fences are due a new coat. They are currently a red cedar colour but a really dark red shade. I have tried 2 different paints (B&Q own and Wilkos) howver they are almost orange when applied! Before i go and buy more tins of higher priced stuff, does anyone know of a brand that does a darker, less orange red cedar paint?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
show us a photo to give us an idea of what you're aiming for.

Was it you that stained them originally?

Will get a pic up today at some point (just realised you could upload).

No, the fences were already painted when i moved in.

Cheers.

Sadolin Timber Stain Colour, they do a cedar red which looks more red than orange - online anyway.
If not, you could try a timber paint by Osmo. Silly expensive though.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest. Has anyone removed fence paint with a preassure washer? Think the previous owners must have used some kind of general wood paint because i cannot find a match anywhere.

Im thinking i might just borrow a preassure washer and blast the old stuff off?

yes.

A fan nozzle is OK. You have to hold it quite close. It raises the grain. The dirty water, with wood splinters, moss and bits of old stain flies around a bit so be careful of your neighbours' car, washing, windows and paving.

I think I've used a red fence stain called something like "Autumn Red"

Actual oiled cedar is actually orange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back