RED DIESEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B.O.B DOLE

does this realy ruin your engine or are they just trying to scare us

Sponsored Links
Red diesel in itself will not do your cars engine any harm, although it is not quite the same thing as white diesel. However if you are caught using it, on the public road, your car can be confiscated and sold or destroyed by Customs and Excise.

CE say there is a problem with Red Diesel which has had its dye removed by acids or bleaches, whether this is true or they are just saying it I wouldn't like to say.

Do agricultural vehicles have smog traps and cats like road-going diesel vehicles?

Just thinking that the red dye/bleach could poison these devices. Also, red diesel is lower grade so has more sulphur compounds in.

I have seen on the motorway some modern diesel cars chucking out black soot and s**t when they put their foot down, only occasionally though. Do you think this could be red diesel or just someone who doesn't know how to drive diesel? :LOL:

AdamW said:
I have seen on the motorway some modern diesel cars chucking out black soot and s**t when they put their foot down, only occasionally though. Do you think this could be red diesel or just someone who doesn't know how to drive diesel? :LOL:

Probably needs a service and injectors renewing.

Certain CI (Diesel) engines can run on other types of fuel, I've even heard of folk occasionally putting cooking oil in to lubricate fuel system working parts.
Risky or what? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Red diesel is the same as derv (Diesel Engined Road Vehicles),but with dye added to show it is rebated fuel - and the colour can stain your tank for months!
I used to work for a tanker firm delivering the dye to Phillips Petroleum (now Petroplus) - they used to get about 10,000 litres every 6 weeks,for the refinery that had about 30 tankers running out of it every day (so a little goes a long way!)
And after carrying the dye,had to carry at least 6 loads of red diesel to remove the stain from the tank before we even considered cleaning it out.

I always wondered where "DERV" came from, thought it was weird that the English-speaking world spoke of "Diesel" after the inventor, but other countries call it DERV.

I've even heard of folk occasionally putting cooking oil in to lubricate fuel system working parts.

I would have thought that one of the engineering benefits on designing a system to carry oil is that it requires little in the way of extra lubrication :LOL:

......and it is the additional lubricational qualities of diesel that allow such impressive mileages to be racked up by vehicles running on heavy oil (as the V5 desribes such engines).

I myself prefer a more gentle lubricant :LOL: :oops:

I suppose diesel + vegetable oil would effectively be a multigrade fuel: so, when the engine is cold you would get less of the diesel clatter that even the smoothest of modern diesels is afflicted by.

Red diesel has a lower cetane rating and higher sulphur content than white diesel. Although it won't do your engine any harm it is definately a lower grade fuel. White diesel is the highest grade(CR around 51) or slightly more for so called high grade or performance diesel, followed by red (CR around 45)and then central heating oil(kerosene)(CR around 28-35) this is also termed second, as in 28 sec or 35 sec etc. The higher the number the better the burning qualities, although there is, currently, little advantage over 50.
Chemically treating red to remove the dye is illegal and may also be a waste of time. Most EU supplied red diesel also contains a Yellow Dye too. This is called Euromarker and is supposed to still be present after chemical treatment.
http://www.ebldirect.com/ebl/current_awareness/dataitem.asp?ID=17840&tid=7
Although not heard of anymore, I used recover petrol engined Ambulances which contained rebated and dyed petrol. This was dyed green to stop fraudulent use by the public and also to stop the staff pinching it. I have not heard of this fuel for years and don't even know if it still exists.

Veggie oil is also tax evasion, unless you declare and pay the duty, it also stinks of chips and the smell is a cert giveaway.

david and julie said:
(CR around 28-35) this is also termed second, as in 28 sec or 35 sec etc. The higher the number the better the burning qualities, although there is, currently, little advantage over 50.

Second rating is (was?) based on the Saybolt Universal Viscometer - a set quantity of liquid is heated to a set temperature (I knew the figures once :( ) and then timed to see how long it takes to run out of the test beaker - giving a measurement in seconds of time.
Higher number = more viscous product (although I believe centistokes are now the preferred unit of viscosity measurement)

Sorry powertool, but on re-reading my post it does sound confusing. I am not saying CR and sec are the same thing. As you said sec refers to the viscosity, I also don't remember the temperature but seem to recall it being very high, I have in my head 250C and the time it takes to flow down a given sized tube, but I am not certain. Memories getting on a bit I'm afraid. :(

Never heard of a "Saybolt Universal Viscometer", sounds intriguing! The only viscosity tests I have done have been with a "poisemeter": you take a large cylinder of the liquid and drop a ball-bearing in, timing how long it takes for the bearing to sink to the bottom. But that was with liquids that are far more viscous than diesel.

There is a way around the duty issue with veggie oil... now, I presume that you declare the fuel used, and pay duty on it at intervals? Well, declare that you have used veggie oil around 1/5th of the time, and the rest of the time you use diesel because you aren't 100% sure about veggie oil. If you are pulled, well, you are running on veggie oil this week. From what I have read you are meant to mix the two anyway.

Provided you are paying cash for your veggie oil then you would be OK.

post locked to prevent hi -jacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back