Red, green and yellow cable?

Ahh, Fixit just reread my post and realised that I wasn't clear. The current switch would end up inside once the bathroom wall was moved not the switch. Sorry, my fault for the confusion.

We want to move the switch so that it is OUTSIDE of the bathroom. There is no fan, just a light.

Sponsored Links
Ahh, Fixit just reread my post and realised that I wasn't clear. The current switch would end up inside once the bathroom wall was moved not the switch. Sorry, my fault for the confusion.

We want to move the switch so that it is OUTSIDE of the bathroom. There is no fan, just a light.
OK, no problem. Happy New Year!

maybe because 99.9% of bathrooms in the UK do not have regular switches in the bathroom regardless of regulations.

But if it is ok to the regs, you could take the lazy option and leave it.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ban, because once the bathroom wall is moved the switch would be 1m 40 inside the bathroom.

I've tried to add some pictures to show the bathroom and where things are

Also a picture of the wiring, hopefully the yellow is more clear and some pictures of the conduit in the loft.

You can see where newer (black and red) wiring has been added. Some of the joints were uncovered (as you can see in pictures) is this safe?

Thanks for all your time! I only wanted to know about the yellow wires as I'd never seen them before and Google didn't give me any answers that made sense :D

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1546166082998.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1546166082998.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 123
  • PhotoGrid_1546166301450.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1546166301450.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 120
  • PhotoGrid_1546166332981.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1546166332981.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 114
  • PhotoGrid_1546166372806.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1546166372806.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 111
  • PhotoGrid_1546166585470.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1546166585470.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 112
  • PhotoGrid_1546166636251.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1546166636251.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 135
Hi John, as above, because once the bathroom wall is moved the switch would be 1m 40 inside the bathroom.

Tried to draw bathroom plan, once wall has moved and new bathroom is fitted the switch would be between the sink and toilet which would be an extremely odd place to leave the switch.

Obviously the switch could remain in the bathroom and be changed to a pull chord. It would still need to be moved though. As leaving it in the current position would be daft (surely).

Unless of course anyone else has a switch situated between the toilet and sink, 1m 40 into the room? :LOL:

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1546168871711.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1546168871711.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 91
Hi John, as above, because once the bathroom wall is moved the switch would be 1m 40 inside the bathroom.
A point that seems to have been missed by some of the more aggressive responders to this topic!

As you have access to the ceiling area. All you need to do is to join the conductors to a length of cable to extend them to the new location.
The place to put the joint would be inside the existing conduit, where the conduit goes vertical down to the existing switch.
You can unsrew the conduit from the bottom of the box, put some choc blocks or Wago connectors inside and its job done.

Obviously the switch could remain in the bathroom and be changed to a pull chord.
Not obviously. A pull cord is not necessary so you can have the switch in the bathroom. As above, you can have a standard wall switch inside a bathroom, providing it's not inside "zones".

Yes, of course Taylor. I think that the layout of the bathroom would mean that any sensible place within it would potentially be too close to the sink but I'd need to measure to ckeck.

I think that potentially a pull cord would be easier to change as (presumably) I could disconnect the current switch. Pull the cables back up into the loft and reconnect to the pull cord easily from above.

I will need to see what my brother thinks as it's his house and I'm just his interfering big sister :D

I think that potentially a pull cord would be easier to change as (presumably) I could disconnect the current switch. Pull the cables back up into the loft and reconnect to the pull cord easily from above.
Well, sort of. But the cables in the conduit are singles, and they must be run in conduit, you cannot just leave them draped round the loft area without an additional covering (eg conduit) to protect them.
That is Why I suggested a length of 2C&E or 3C&E PVC sheathed cable to run from a junction in the existing conduit box to the light switch location. If that was used, then you do not need conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back