Red kisses in a white box!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to have a problem on my old O/S where a lot of pix on web sites and even general index icons..wouldnt open, all I got was a red cross......I cant remember how it sorted itself..but I didnt think id have the same grief wth XP..

But I have.. :(

I have right clicked and and tried to opened manually...Ihave also tried the windows automatic help...but it says it cant recognise the file type....which is strange becasue they are obviously common to the net.

I have quick time real and media player on here btw....

Any ideas?...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
may be the picture is not there, post an example of a page with this problem, may also be settings that neither can recognise say .jpg

It's generally due to file associations. I.E. a file type is associated to a particular program or package, which in turn is responsible for how it gets processed.

If you open My Computer or Windows Explorer, click on Tools, then Folder Options and then File Types, you will see a list of registered types and their associated programs. It's likely that either you don't have a package installed that can handle the file type (PDFs and Adobe for example), or the association is incorrect.

If you can post an example of the file suffix you are having problems with, we should be able to help further.

Ok thanks for the very quick replies chaps.....

I checked the file types..but the problems is, if I dont know what type of file im looking for...I wont knw if its missing from the list...so I checked one out which is one of the main offenders...from pixmania....they recently sent me an email via outlook express (any clues there??) and all of the boxes either containing a picture or a advertising image was blank..

Unfortumatly I cant save and send this as it isnt a web address as such...so heres one from pixmania...assuming they use the same file types you may get a 'lead'...

http://www.mypixmania.com/uk/uk/home/

Thinking about it...this does seem to happen quite a lot in outlook.. :idea: :?:

Sponsored Links
Assumng it contains nothing too personal, can you forward the email to me. Address is in my profile.

Do you get a message at the top of the email (Just below the subject) which says:

"Some pictures have been blocked to prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click here to download pictures" ?

E mail on the way...

You wont beleive this.or maybe you will....

When I opened it to forward it......all the picture/avert boxes actually opened!!!!

Are you Jesus ??......do miracles happen just by asking to forward an email???

The problem is still there if I open them in my inbox...but seems torectify when I forward them......perhaps this is the answer...i'll just redirect all my emails to you and you can let me know what they are all about.. :LOL:

Do you get a message at the top of the email (Just below the subject) which says:

"Some pictures have been blocked to prevent the sender from identifying your computer. Click here to download pictures" ?

Nope..

Not got your email yet. Whicg email client are you using? Outlook express or Outlook?

the link you gave, i can see all the pictures, they are all jpg's

edited by me to say link now removed

Zampa said:
E mail on the way...

You wont beleive this.or maybe you will....

When I opened it to forward it......all the picture/avert boxes actually opened!!!!

Are you Jesus ??......do miracles happen just by asking to forward an email???

The problem is still there if I open them in my inbox...but seems torectify when I forward them......perhaps this is the answer...i'll just redirect all my emails to you and you can let me know what they are all about.. :LOL:

Nope..

Ok, I received your email (with the X's) and I get a message just under the subject line (as my previous post). If I click that line, the pictures appear. I'll forward the email back in case you missed the message.

One way to be certain (if using Outlook express), From your Inbox, select Tools, Options and then the security tab. In the middle, you will see the Download Images section and a checkbox sayng Block images... etc. Is it checked? If it is, then you should receive the message. If you don't like this arrangement, then uncheck the box.

Sorted!.....

Right....breezer, I cam see three of the pix..the first three, and I understand what you mean about the formats now...

The problem, it seems, was mostly with O.E........ Ian...the box in security was checked, I unchecked it and lo an behold...I have the full page as it should be...

This problem does occasionally crop up on ther sites, normally ones where people have sent their own pictures in (no...not the type your thinking off!...football forums etc).......so that could be down to the formats they sent as other people sometimes have the same problem seeing them.

I expect i'll be back soon with yet another XP problem..watch this space!

When your decorating goes wrong, im over in painting decorating and tiling!..

In the mean time.........thanks a bunch to both of you, very usefull....

Sponsored Links
Back