RED PUMP LED FLASHING AT 5HZ ON KESTON CELCIUS 25

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
RECENTLY I NOTICED THE RED LED FLASHING AT 5HZ ON MY KESTON CELCIUS 25 BOILER.
READING THE MANUAL IT SUGGESTS THE BOILER CANNOT LIMIT SYSTEM WATER FLOW ENOUGH ITSELF AND THAT 'CONSIDERATION SHOULD BE GIVEN TO REGULATING THE VANVES ON THE SYSTEM TO RESTRICT SYSTEM FLOW RATES'

NOW THIS DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A BIG PROBLEM, BUT WHICH VALVES OF THE MANY I SEEM TO HAVE IN MY 'AIRING CUPBOARD' WOULD I ADJUST? I GUESS THE VALVES IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT TO THE PUMP IN THE AIRING CUPBOARD WOUDL BE JUST ISOLATION AND NOT FOR FLOW CONTROL?)

I HAVE AN EXPANSION TANK (REGISTERING IN THE GREEN), MEGAFLOW TANK (UNVENTED PRESSURISED HOT WATER)

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Sponsored Links
1. Please don't SHOUT.

2. How many times does red light flash in 2 seconds (with a longer pause in between)?

3. What is status of green and yellow lights in fault situation?

4. Refer to manual for explanation of fault - page 24 of installation instructions.

5. Can't see where you get your "fault" description from. What page of manual?

Hi Chris,

I am getting my fault from Page 22 Section 5, last 2 sentences.

Light flashes very quick - i.e. not 1 time a second, So I ration it is about 5 Hz (10 times in 2 secs)

Light Status: No diag lights on, Mains (green) light on, and red 'water flow' light flashing at 5Hz

PAge 24 doesnt summarise this exact set of lights, but P22 seems to - My question is based upon this last sentence, and the sugestion that the water if lowing too easily - thus which knob to twiddle (I am an engineer - sadly not a plumber!)

Thanks

Paul

You're right Paul. That's a new one on me. All I can suggest is taking the manual advice at face value.

Do you have a by-pass fitted, and is it automatic? If so, you might close it down a little. This should solve the problem. But ensure that the minimum flow required is still possible.

Do you have thermostatic rad valves fitted on some rads, or all rads?

Does the problem occur on hot water service or heating or both?

Sponsored Links
Chris,

Hadnt thought to check if heating / hot water / both. Will check this eve.

By-pass... Dunno? - Airing cupboard is full of pipes/3 way motor valves/red valve handles and all sorts of scarey things - will try and see if I can fathom that out too...

Min flow - yep, will always watch for 1Hz red flash!

Have all thermostatic valves, about 4 of 13 rads are shut though... (Rest are almost fully on though - will try turning down a tadge.

Further thanks...

PP

It would help if you could post a photo of the pipework around the boiler. Then we could tell you what's what.

Chris,

Thats a great idea. Sadly this unix workstation is at work, and my home pc is b*ggered.

I will see what I can work out...

I tried turning all the rads down by a couple of notches last night to no avail.

The only other syptom I can descibe is that the boiler goes through its start procedure as per normal - eventually lighting and running with mains 'on' light and burner lit light 'on' - the 4 modulation LEDs beneath initially lighting showing full power.... This then settles to 1 modulation LED beneath. It is only after anything after about 10 minutes that the water flow LED will flash to indicate flow is too 'easy'

Sadly on the occasion I did get a chance to try and emulate the problem I couldn't isolate th problem to heating or hot water...

The saga continues...

<watch this space>

PP

It would be a good idea to ask Keston technical about it. I suspect that problem is other than excessive flow, which doesn't make sense to me when it's the boiler pump that powers the flow!

well, I havent rung Keston yet, It is a wise idea.

I did try turning the secondary pump (grunfos stylee thing in airing cupboard) to second speed setting (was at level 3 so turned to level 2) .

I watched like a hawk for overheating etc, and the boiler seems happy now - rads heat up etc.

Still think I will get boiler serviced, but at least for the moment all 'seems' well...

Photo to follow...

PP

the secondary pump
What! Why is there a secondary pump? the pump in the boiler is normally sufficient. No wonder you're getting excess flow!

Hi DYLAN, ur problem has been resloved?Now i have the same problem with u. Do u have any idea how to fix it?

well, I havent rung Keston yet, It is a wise idea.

I did try turning the secondary pump (grunfos stylee thing in airing cupboard) to second speed setting (was at level 3 so turned to level 2) .

I watched like a hawk for overheating etc, and the boiler seems happy now - rads heat up etc.

Still think I will get boiler serviced, but at least for the moment all 'seems' well...

Photo to follow...

PP

holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back