Red Quarry Tiles - Grout Hazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have had the following tiles laid by a tiler

http://www.wickes.co.uk/red-quarry-floor-tiles/invt/166173/

He left on Friday with the plan of coming back on Monday. He spent much of Friday cleaning the tiles, wiping and mopping them (my wife saw him do this)

When I got home on friday night the tiles were really hazy and white so I texted the tiler and asked if they could do with another clean as I was concerned with staining. He said it'd be a good idea.

I have scrubbed the tiles and mopped with plenty of clean water numerous times and it is not helping.

I am worried that the tiles are now ruined. I supplied the tiles however I sent the same link above to him for the quote and also he checked them over before laying. at no point was sealing mentioned.

Should this stuff lift? I really don't want to have to fight the tiler, or end up with a ruined floor. My only comfort is that as it's a Bank Holiday until Wed I can cancel the cheque if he refuses to rectify (he asked to be paid on Friday and as he was technically finished laying the floor). That's a last resort of course.

Sponsored Links
dont worry, its perfectly normal. buff them with a dry cloth, it will come off. its just grout dust.
if you really fail getting it off you can use either hg extra or ltp grout film remover which is a mild acid.

You should seal the tiles (and the grout) when your finished

That's a relief. Note that the tiles are slightly textured which I don't think is helping.

I will try a dry cloth although I'd have thought a wet scouring pad (non metallic) would have taken it off.

Lastly, is this something you'd expect the tiler to do?

Sponsored Links
ok you probably do need a grout film remover then. but if you mention it to your tiler i'd certainly expect that they would sort it out for you

S'all good. Tiler was back today and we only needed to mention out concern and he went out and got some grout remover and did a fantastic job of cleaning up the tiles. Very pleased.

Thanks for easing the worry over the weekend tho.

no problem. it used to be a common thing.

glad your tiler dealt with it well. nice to hear good things about tilers on here!

I thought it would be worth uploading a pic of the cleaned and sealed floor, in case anyone else was considering buying these tiles from Wickes, or if they were worried by grout staining. I have to say I love this floor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back