Red Sleeving

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
J

Johnmelad502

Was asked to fit a metal light fitting in this room, but as there was no earth I could not do it.

What is the idea for sleeving the live and neutral in this red sleeving?

Sponsored Links
Think you will find it is silicone impregnated heat resistant sleeving to stop the cores from touching should the insulation ever melt. Its to protect the PVC cables

Nick

Sponsored Links
Perhaps it as been sleeved as the cables are VIR and crumbling - Many sparks try to get around the fact the cables have out lived their life, and sleeve them when changing fittings etc.

I mention this as you say there is no earth which could indicate this type of cable.

I did assume that it wasn't flex coming out of the ceiling, and on that basis no - I can't see where the fixed wiring joins onto what I assumed was internal wiring of the luminaire (they looked too nicely curved to be T/E cores.)

But if what I'm seeing is the fixed wiring, then where's the neutral loop?

then where's the neutral loop?

Last fitting on circuit, live feed and switch feed into choc-block, left hand lead return feed from switch and centre lead neutral?

OK - all I can see in the photo is a switched live, a neutral, and something ending in a choc-block.

If the latter is the live loop then what's the point of it being there if there's no neutral loop?

If the permanent live to the switch is also in it (i.e. if there are two conductors) then why is it poking out of the ceiling? It doesn't need to be.

Or are there 3 conductors in it, if the loop carries on? But again why have it poking out of the ceiling?

I'm just trying to work out what's going on, as what I can see makes insufficient sense.

Red sleeving to choc-block 2 x red wires
Centre sleeve 1 x red wire
Left sleeve 1 x blue wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back