Reducing a valley rafter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I was wondering has anyone come across a situation whereby they needed to reduce the depth of valley rafters in a loft conversion as the current depth (290) obstructs, I was thinking reduce in depth and fix a flitch plate, I have a SE looking at it at the moment but Id be interested to know if anyone has done it as even using a flitch plate Im struggling to see how you would go about it unless you fixed it to the underside like an UA maybe providing you leave enough timber to bolt through?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
A flitch plate goes between 2 joist, and can be either metal, or as some suggest plywood. But you're not telling us a lot about the setup, so it's difficult to say much more. Is the too high joist in place at the minute, and needs to be reduced, or is one going in that needs to be lower than the adjoining joists. What about a steel RSJ instead.

No mate the valley rafters insitu (1950s mid terrace) or yes would be relatively easy as could use a flitch plate between 2 timbers as you discribed or a UB, a flitch plate can also go on one side of a reduced timber as I've used this method before on ceiling joists that were too shallow due to ceiling height restrictions so we had to spec 100x100 CJ with 75x10 flat bar bolted to one side to resist deflection, so with it being in place you can see the problem, cheers anyway thanks for replying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back