Reducing chimney stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour has removed the chimney breast on ground and first floor and supported the stack by installing a steel beam in the loft.
He has done a dorma conversion with the chimney stack still present above the roof line.

I want to remove the chimney completely from, so can I remove half of the stack on my side only and leave their half?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
supported the stack by installing a steel beam in the loft.
This would have cost a lot more than removing the stack entirely, at the time; it suggests consideration by your next door neighbour for you, or the previous occupant, to retain use of the stack.

Personally, I would offer to take the whole stack down; there will be far lower probability of future problems for both of you.

....this is of course if you aren't in a conservation area, or have a listed building! ;)

I only bought the property a month ago. He originally wanted to remove it all and had issued the party wall notice, but the previous owner didn't respond and it became a lengthy process for him. So then he has just ended up leaving the stack and done his dorma conversion.

Because he has already installed a new roof, he may not agree to get it all removed or the cost is going to increase for me even more because I will have to make it right, etc.

I doubt making right his side of the roof is going to cost you a huge amount more, especially if you offer a deal like he pays for the slates for his side, and you provide the labour

But generally do you envisage there being an issue with cutting it in half so all the chimney on my side can be removed and on his side possibly reduce the height too, but keep it above the roof line just in case there maybe a risk. As I said he has installed a steel beam in loft.

I expect it will cost you more to that than to just remove the lot.

You will need to make good the "cut in half" bit?

To repair the roof it will be some batten, tiles and felt. Not expensive.

Last question: any ideas of rough cost? I have attached photos just to give idea of size. Thanks.

Attachments

• markup_82258.png
    markup_82258.png
    872.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20220717-161737.jpg
    Screenshot_20220717-161737.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 65

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back