Reducing Cold Bridging with steel Lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to resolve or reduce the cold bridging and resultant condensation around a window.

We've purchased a house and in the kitchen/dinner there are some French doors. They have been installed in the past few years (in a 25yr old house), and appear to have placed the new door a couple of inches further out than it was before (judging by the added skirting board).
Unfortunately, along the top of the widow on the wall (head?) below the lintel, there is now a significant amount of condensation, it literally forms large drops in each corner extending about six inches from each corner.

The bottom of the steel lintel (i.e just above the window) has an exposed lip on the outside. There were some small cracks above the lintel lip, and a small gap below it (as the sealant to the door had separated), I filed both sides with a little sealant to prevent any more cold air/ water from entering and making it worse.

So is there anything else I can do to help reduce the issue? Unfortunately there is no air vent at the top of the doors. It was suggested that I use some moisture sealant on the brickwork around this area to help prevent moisture uptake (it is built of cotswold stone).

Is there anything else you can suggest to reduce the issue (and is my assumption about cold bridging correct?).
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the idea, unfortunately the doors are outward opening and the frame (as seen from the inside) is actually the door jamb.
Is it OK to fit to a door?

Sponsored Links
Trickle vents are just holes drilled though, and the trickle vent applied either side, but whilst this would help, I think you're right in the cold bridging problem. It's more than possible that you'll need to open up the lintel both inside and out, and apply something like expanding foam to fill the gap. But if the condensation is forming on the underside of the lintel, you may be able to fix insulated plasterboard, but only as long as there's enough space before you reach the window opening, or glass.

We might need some pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back