Reducing Scaffolding Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Around me yet another scaffold is being put up 4 doors down. It's about the 12th within earshot in the last 6 months, seems to be a Covid building boom.
Scaffolders use power tools now, they sound truly horrible. Like a drill at the dentist but a hundred times louder. Didn't used to be like that when they used manual tools.
Like leaf blowers the noise is so gratuitous I wonder sometimes how dull and stupid people are, or maybe deaf. They have no respect for anything these days. Builders rock up into someone's front garden and stick the stereo on and blast it into peoples windows from 8am as if they are on an industrial estate.

Anyway, regarding the tools used by scaffolders are there not versions of them that reduce sound?

Sponsored Links
Around me yet another scaffold is being put up 4 doors down.

Anyway, regarding the tools used by scaffolders are there not versions of them that reduce sound?
How long is it going to take to put the scaffolding up?

are there not versions of them that reduce sound?
In the olden days they used a scaffold spanner, known as a podger. These days they use impact drivers, and there's no such thing as a quiet one. Probably makes the job go a bit quicker though.

This morning I put up a scaffolding on a new job in Sussex -the neighbour 4 doors down is a right misery, I do wish he would moan a bit more quietly

:D:D

Sponsored Links
In the olden days they used a scaffold spanner, known as a podger. These days they use impact drivers, and there's no such thing as a quiet one. Probably makes the job go a bit quicker though.

I wonder if something like this could be put on the impact drivers. It reduces noise in this video from about 100db to 60db.

How long does it take to put up a scaffold several houses away, two times a month for six months? 45 minutes, one hour?

Meanwhile, how long does it take the several neighbours to cut the grass every Sunday, strim the edges, clip the hedge and then vac the cuttings? 45 minutes to one hour?

Like leaf blowers the noise is so gratuitous I wonder sometimes how dull and stupid people are, or maybe deaf.
I sometimes wonder things about people who live in towns and cities but dont like noise.

sometimes wonder things about people who live in towns and cities but dont like noise.

Nobody likes noise. Right now there are some scaffolders round the back, probably been doing there thing for 3 hours now. This morning at 8 there was a leaf blower gardening guy at the front, then after him some scaffold was put up on a different site. That's pretty typical at the moment.
Up until recently many of the scaffolders did not use 100db tools to do their work.
It all adds up to an increasingly noisey and cancer filled world. But of course nobody cares, so it just gets worse.
These days to keep your mouth shut and watch it all go to s*** has become normal as well.
Anyway as above video shows there are options.

Im not getting the scaffolding/cancer link. o_O
Has this been peer reviewed in The Lancet?

I sometimes wonder things about people who live in towns and cities but dont like noise.
To be honest I live on the outskirts of a city and I'm not keen on lots of noise.

That said I can deal with scaffolders working 4 or 5 times a year for a few hours, it's not a big deal. :D

Anyway as above video shows there are options.

I somehow doubt scaffolders are going to start carrying around air compressors to reduce the noise they make by a few decibels to please one or two people.

I think most people don't keep their mouth shut, but understand people sometimes need to make some noise in order to do a job, I'm sure your neighbours wouldnt complain if you needed a new roof and some scaffolders put some scaffolding up and made some noise for a few hours. It's give and take.

Same trouble round my way. It's becoming increasingly difficult to hear the wife's incessant moaning over it

Reminds me of the Bob Monkhouse joke; my father passed away very suddenly, and very peacefully, unlike the passengers on the bus he was driving at the time.

They have no respect for anything these days. Builders rock up into someone's front garden and stick the stereo on and blast it into peoples windows from 8am as if they are on an industrial estate.

The thing to do, 'is have words with them' - I do! It works..

These days we live in whats classed as a fast paced world. Basically, the quicker you can get a job done the quicker you can move to the next one and generate more potential profit. If you were erecting a scaffold and by using a hand tool, (podger), it would take you 8 hours but using electric/mechanical tools it would take 2-3 hours which would you prefer?
2-3 hours with a mechanised tool, (and a set of good ear defenders), against 8 hours with a manual tool and aching limbs at the end? No brainer.
The scaffies are only there for a short time. Wait till the brickies, chippies and plasterers rock up and start doing their thing, continuously all day and every day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back