Reducing size of patio door frame width from 1880 to 1810

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First time joiner and poster here.

I have an existing Aluminium patio door with a brick width of 1810.

It was installed with the house and had been in our living room and on the house for over 13 years. For the past three years (autumn/winter) the living room has been very very cold and the door dripping with condensation.
No matter how hard I tried to stem the flow, cold streams of air flowed through the door like it was open.
Last year I took the door apart and replaced all of the seals and put it back together, I then bought a large inner thick curtain to cover up the door.
It only made a marginal improvement to the heat in the living room but air still is flowing through it like no tomorrow.
The house is only 13 years old so should not be getting this cold in the living room with any other part of the house, cavity wall insulation etc.
Even now I'm having to re write everything I'm typing because my hands are so cold.
Well to cut a long story short I want to buy a newer patio door and have found one on the Bay for £100 which is two years old (no damage)
The dimensions are 2100x1880. My patio door opening, is brick to brick and is 2100x1810.

I bought a composite front door to replace the ageing wooden door last year and the gales in the front door have stopped. I was able to shave off the excess 20mm either side to make it fit so would consider that a success.

My question, how much of the Patio Door frame can I nip before it becomes structurally unsound?
I obviously need to nip 7 cm. Possible?

Sponsored Links
It really depends on how thick the casing is to start with, however the answer is probably no. It may, however, be possible to dismantle the frame and cut new joints. Any chance of a couple of pics?

No chance, might get 10-12mm of each side, certainly not 35mm of each side without jeopardising the functioning of the doors.
By the time you've paid for the second hand door, building control to sign it off and any materials would you not be better off paying the extra on a new one fitted by a company who will certify and be guaranteed for 10 yrs if anything goes wrong?

No chance, might get 10-12mm of each side, certainly not 35mm of each side without jeopardising the functioning of the doors.
By the time you've paid for the second hand door, building control to sign it off and any materials would you not be better off paying the extra on a new one fitted by a company who will certify and be guaranteed for 10 yrs if anything goes wrong?

Went and checked the door. Very sturdy made by Renhau. But your right, there is no way I'll shave anything more than 10mm off this baby.
There is one last possibility, can patio doors (and frame) be rotated?
I've seen one more which is a prefect size, is a year old but opens from the right hand side and I need one opening from the left.
In effect it would mean that if it was able to be rotated I could have it open from the left and the sliding part and bumper stops would be inside.

If that's no dice either I'd better start looking to sell a kidney to buy a new one.

Renhau seem to be very study. Comparing that to my old door (which at the moment is leaking air like an effing sieve) make my old one look like a cheap piece of tin foil with glass.
Any other recommendations and possibly fitters In the Herts/Beds/Bcuks area please?

Sponsored Links
It really depends on how thick the casing is to start with, however the answer is probably no. It may, however, be possible to dismantle the frame and cut new joints. Any chance of a couple of pics?

Thank you for your replies. I've checked it out and there is no way it will fit or be shaved down. Lovely door though.

On the Patio door I went to check out I rang the name on the label on the side of the door. A Sarf Landan geezer answered and said that he only fits Renhau (he actually used the phrase "Their Pukka, top notch gear") and could fit it for £1800, he even said "aww wight mate!" I felt like I was on the Fast show.
He also said he could also install it for me in 2 weeks. I said I'd call him back.

I then went on to the Renhau website and checked for my nearest fitter.
I called them and they gave me a price over the phone of £989 inc VAT and fitting and a lead time of possibly 6 weeks. This seemed more realistic.
I checked with my very local (less than a mile away) double glazing company (who actually are also a tool company) they said they could fit what they sell at cost for £1200, though their product seemed remarkably thinner and flimsy in comparison to the Renhau. Just as I was walking out of their stock room I saw an invoice from the suppliers for £230 inc fixtures. for the very door they were trying to sell me. I know there are profit margins but WTH!?
What a difference and what a minefield.
Does that sound like a favourable quote (second one) or should I be looking at different doors or companies?

Any advice would be exceptionally welcome. Thank you in advance.

By the sounds of it you are quite capable of fitting the door yourself which will save you a good few hundred on fitting costs.
You should of course get it signed off by building control which will probably cost around £100-£200 depending on your area. But if you didn't would anyone be able to tell that they were not the original door "Cough".

So you just need to find a good make at a good price. I would try a few more local double glazing company's for supply only prices if possible. If you were in my area I would say about £500 for a set of Kommerling doors including delivery to site but your way out of my area I'm afraid.

The sealed unit you will be putting in will be more important to help with the cold. The glass will take up a big surface area of your patio door so even if you go for the most up to date energy efficient frame you'll still lose heat through the glass.
Doors do not have an energy rating but putting argon gas in the unit and using a warmedge spacer will go towards alleviating your problem.

By the sounds of it you are quite capable of fitting the door yourself which will save you a good few hundred on fitting costs.
You should of course get it signed off by building control which will probably cost around £100-£200 depending on your area. But if you didn't would anyone be able to tell that they were not the original door "Cough".

So you just need to find a good make at a good price. I would try a few more local double glazing company's for supply only prices if possible. If you were in my area I would say about £500 for a set of Kommerling doors including delivery to site but your way out of my area I'm afraid.

Thank you. Will check into this now.

The sealed unit you will be putting in will be more important to help with the cold. The glass will take up a big surface area of your patio door so even if you go for the most up to date energy efficient frame you'll still lose heat through the glass.
Doors do not have an energy rating but putting argon gas in the unit and using a warmedge spacer will go towards alleviating your problem.

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back