Redundant water tank in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone can help me!

I've taken on the task of re-insulating our loft (it's a big one) and feel like I know what to do, what space to leave, what batons to fix, etc, but I'm completely hampered by this dirty great redundant water tank that sits bang in the middle. I can't get round it at all - apparently it was used by the previous occupiers for storing Christmas decorations - and need to remove it. The thing is, it's made of galvanised steel so needs cutting out. I've tried with a cheap-end jigsaw (metal cutting blades!) but it was useless. Next I tried with a reciprocator saw - much better, but still slow and I've already ruined two blades by bending them.

Am I missing something? Has anyone got any better ideas? The tank is huge, about 4x4 ft, and it feels like this job is going to take forever.

Please help!

Julie :(

Sponsored Links
angle grinder.

Don't forget your ear-defenders.

I said, Don't forget your ear-defenders! ear-defenders! ear-defenders!

What's the matter, are you... oh, sorry, I see.

Thanks - that's a new idea to me.

Do I use it like a cutter? I guess I do but I've never used one before.

And how do I deal with the sparks? I got a few today with the reciprocating saw but they came to nothing.

Julie :)

Sponsored Links
Decent hacksaw. Four vertical cuts. Fold the cistern like an envelope. Post envelope through loft hatch.

Thanks Softus.

By hacksaw I take it you don't mean a power tool! Judging by how long it took me to get one vertical cut with a reciprocating saw today I don't think I'd manage it with a hacksaw in my lifetime. However, the four cuts and envelope make sense and I'll definitely do that (with a power tool!).

Julie

Judging by how long it took me to get one vertical cut with a reciprocating saw today I don't think I'd manage it with a hacksaw in my lifetime.
Wrong blade then. I can do it easily and I'm a skinny git.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back