Water tank on loft flooring - advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have fitted some BnQ tongue and groove boards in the loft of a 1960s house and was wondering if it (and the loft floor) will take the weight of a large hot water tank.

The Megaflo tank is over 6 feet tall and very heavy even without 250L of water in, so I am concerned about putting it in the loft, but there’s nowhere else it can go due to lack of space. The house is built from concrete and has a concrete chimney that comes up through the centre of the house, but I can’t see if the flooring is fixed to this or not. There are two really big wooden beams running the length of the loft floor and under this a load of smaller beams that I have fixed the flooring to. If a photo would help I can try and sort something out??

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would use bigger joists next to the exsisting joists from wallplate to the next bearing wall which will take the weight

A photo will help us for a better advice

Go to the website of the manufacturer of the tank, check-out the weight specification of the beast, then some simple maths (1L = 1KG) to give combined weight. Armed with this knowledge you can make some educated choices about support methods or you could do some loading calculations

Option 1. Beef-up the existing timber work to supporting walls, 'over-engineer' to be safe. Top-off with a plywood deck.

Option 2. Big concrete chimney - might be possible to have steel bracket work fashioned by you local steel fabrication shop. This could be bolted to the chimney and the tank placed on the steelwork (a bit like a shelf). This type of steelwork is common in houses where chimney breasts have been removed from part of the building and what's left has to be supported.

Sponsored Links
I have checked the tank and dry weight is 50kg and it holds 250L so total full weight would be 300kg. I will take a photo...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back