General loft headaches in Glasgow. Looking for advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house is a 1970's Semi and the wife and I really want to utilise the space in the loft for storage. I'd love to look at getting a room with Velux in there, but it's out of our budget and stairway access would be a problem.

The house had a chimney in it, but the previous owner had new tiling done on the roof, so the firm that did it seperated the chimney from the roof and left it free standing in the loft.

There was already a small amount of flooring down, so in my best endeavour, I knocked the chimney down to below the level of the floor joist beam things so it could be floored over.

It wasn't until I shifted the old rolls of insulation from the back that I realised there must've been a water tank in there at some point, now gone, and so there are a couple of heavy beams supporting a platform where it would've sat.

Long story short, the loft is a mess, with some flooring, a hole where a chimney used to be, and a platform for a water tank as well as various pipes and cabling snaking around the place.

Anyone know a good Glasgow firm that could come out and floor the whole thing for a reasonable rate as well as the clear up work that'll be required before they start?

I would give it a go, and to be fair, it's probably simple enough, but there's also another layer of insulation on top of the old which I'd have to clear out, and it's breaking my will to live right now.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back