Removing asbestos tank from loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am wanting to remove an asbestos water tank from my loft. I understand that if left undisturbed these are unlikely to cause any harm but I do not like the thought of it being located right above my daughters bedroom, I'm probably overly concerned but I feel it is a bit of a ticking time bomb incase it ever fell through the ceiling.
I'd like to get it removed, as such I am getting my heating/hot water changed over to a combi so that the tank no longer gets used. Does anyone know the best way to go about getting it out, I'd probably prefer to get a company in to do it but I have literally no idea how much this is likely to cost, I assume they would have to cut a portion of my ceiling out as the loft hatch is smaller than the tank.
Also, I have heard before that you can get these things "wrapped" to essentially make them safe, has anyone ever done this?
Basically I'm just looking for any info in terms of costs and process for removing the issue of having a huge lump of asbestos in my house so if anyone can help id really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
I had a similar issue with my place......although it wasn't huge it wouldn't come through the hatch.
I wrapped the tank up in a thick rubble sack, and then wrapped it again. I sealed the bags with duct tape and then cracked the tank with a hammer.....the bags didn't pierce.
I was quite surprised how tough it was - but that was the only one I've ever done.
John :)

Thanks John, you're a braver man than me to be fair, I have a major fear of asbestos so I can see me cracking it with a hammer whether it's wrapped in a rubble bag or not!:D

Aye, fair comment I do have a more cavalier approach than maybe I should.....my bags didn't split though!
I've cut so much asbestolux sheets in my time, using a circular saw ( no dust extraction- jeez!)
It's what we did :eek:
Ps Regarding your other post regarding that flue - if it's in use it's one of the most dangerous things I've ever seen.
Regards
J.

Sponsored Links
It seems to be disconnected from it's socket on the ridge?
Tiny screen here by the way so take it from the pro's on the other post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back