Asbestos In My Loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I plan to board over the joists in my loft, and while I was measuring up, I noticed what appears to be asbestos, but I'm not entirely sure if it is or not. If it is, should I be concerned? All my upstairs ceilings have an artex effect by the way, but whether they contain asbestos or not, I have no idea. House was built (or better to say thrown up!) in the 1920s (by a man called Jack!) :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
That picture looks like something they've unearthed on 'Time Team'.

Haha you should see the wiring up there too (ok a bit off topic I know)!

But, I am a bit worried if it is asbestos as I've got to work up there at some point. If it is, I suppose I'll just have to be careful and not disturb it, but I was just curious to see what you guys thought.

But, I am a bit worried if it is asbestos

Hard to tell from that pic but - on balance - it is unlikely to be asbestos.
You could only tell definitively by testing, but that co£ts.
If in doubt, why not lightly damp down with a fine mist, get a decent mask etc, and put it carefully in bin liners yourself?

Sponsored Links
But, I am a bit worried if it is asbestos

Hard to tell from that pic but - on balance - it is unlikely to be asbestos.
You could only tell definitively by testing, but that co£ts.
If in doubt, why not lightly damp down with a fine mist, get a decent mask etc, and put it carefully in bin liners yourself?

Hi Tony,

I just can't think what else it could be. On the far side of the loft under the insulation there are laths so it would be common to assume that the plaster underneath is stuck to that (old fashioned lath and plaster method), but would you stick plaster to asbestos panels? Hmmm. They're definitely not there as being stored because they'd be stacked. From what I can make out, they are actually sitting ON the plastered ceiling. I'm not too bothered about moving it though if i can simply board over it. It's not going to affect anyone, if it's covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back